Win2K and rejoining a domian

terster

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hi, Can you tell me how to take a Win2K workstation and rejoin a domian without having the workstation create all new profiles for each user? For example, if you have one domain controller and it crashes, requiring a reinstall/reconfig... once it's back up and running, accounts recreated, etc, how do you get your workstations to rejoin the domain without having the workstation recreate the default profiles? Any time i've come across this and rejoined the machine to the domain, the workstation always creates a new default profile for each user on it, requiring hours to put back every custom setting for each end user. There must be a way to rejoin the domain, recreate the SID, restablish the Trust relationships and keep it invisible to the end user.

Please advise,

Terster

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i dont think it can be done. but you could always replace the new profile folder with the one that was there before.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

terster

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hi, the custom settings i'm referring to are many. The desktop icons, the locations to the files in the "My Documents" folder, all the "favorites", the program groupings in the "Start" menu, printers, etc. Pretty much everything has to be redone.

I sure thought that there was a way to re-establish a trust relationship, the SID and rejoin the Domain without all this happening.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
a trust relationship has nothing to do with what you want to do. by design windows will not over write a profile name that is already there. i guess you could copy every ones profile, log them on, and copy the old profile back with the same name, that should work.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!