Win2k ignores bios?

G

I am having a serious issue. I am using windows 2000 and here is my problem. I am trying to install a Gforce2 MX 400 PCI video card and it MUST use irq 11 PERIOD. No if, and or buts about it. This is fine other then the fact that it can not share an IRQ with anything but PCI irq steering. Now here is my problem. I set up my BIOS so that my video will use IRQ 11 my onboard lan , onboard sound, and USB controller will use 10. Thing is when win 2000 finds the hardware it throws everything in IRQ 11. No matter what my BIOS says. My Bios will not allow you to disable ACPI which according to Visiontek is the only way around this. Microsoft say no you are not allowed to change IRQ settings in the OS it goes where it wants. Why I don't understand. I can't figure out why these items MUST be on 11. I tried win98 and same issue. Anyone know any tricks to get around this my wall can't take to many more dents from my head. I am using a soyo dragon + MB and award bios. Thanks

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
what you could do is... if you're going for a restall of w2k, when it says hit F6 for RAID...... at the beginning of the setup, hit F5 and select "standard computer". now if you're not looking to do that, go into the device manager (right click my computer/manage/device manager) and under computer you should see "advanced configuration and power interface (acpi) pc. double click that and go to the driver tab. click update driver, check "display a list of known..."
in the window that comes up, check "show all hardware of this device class. make sure "standard computer" is selected on the left and choose "standard PC" on the right, click next or whatever (don't worry about the caution message, just click ok or whatever). you'll reboot and you will probably need to reinstall the device drivers again though for your cards. but this will enable you to use pci irq steering so you can manually adjust the irq's. hope it works out.

happiness is finding a stick of ram in your mail.

G

Thanks for the reply. I did as you said but it still won't let me change the IRQ settings. PCI IRQ steering is checked under the Standard PC device should I use the Bios call or MS tables. Thanks again

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Three things:

BIOS call, not the MS tables. Then you may have to assign the IRQ's in the BIOS manually, for each device and slot.

Make sure that PnP Operating System is set in the BIOS to On, or Yes, and that APM power management is enabled.

Leave PCI slot 1 open on the the mainboard.

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q237556" target="_new">How to Troubleshoot Windows 2000 Hardware Abstraction Layer Issues</A>

<A HREF="http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=13923" target="_new">How can I specify an alternate HAL during Windows 2000 installation?</A>

<A HREF="http://www.swynk.com/friends/tulloch/articles/ACPIhal2.asp" target="_new">More on ACPI BIOS and W2K hardware problems</A>

Now ... <font color=green>"I am trying to install a Gforce2 MX 400 PCI video card and it MUST use irq 11 PERIOD. No if, and or buts about it."</font color=green>

Why is that? Were you having IRQ conflicts with the card installed, and/or lockups and BSOD's? There are only two reasons I can think of to use APM in Win2K.

One, your mainboard isn't ACPI-compliant.

Two, there are device conflicts that absolutely cannot be corrected with any other method, which is unusual with compliant hardware and drivers. I know for a fact that nVidia drivers are compliant.

IRQ sharing with ACPI in Win98 & Win2K is <i>normal</i>.

<A HREF="http://www.supermicro.com/TECHSUPPORT/FAQs/acpi_faq.htm" target="_new">ACPI</A>

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q246236" target="_new">How to Upgrade Windows 2000 to Use an ACPI HAL</A>

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

G

"The graphics card has to be on IRQ 11 no ifs, ands, or buts about it."

Well reason I was saying this is when I first put this card in a system and it was sharing IRQ's it would lock up every 15 minutes or so even though it said there were no conflicts. I contacted visiontek and they said it "has to be in IRQ 11 and nothing else can share the IRQ with it except for the PCI IRQ steering" That system (compaq presario) had no BIOS IRQ control whatso ever so I couldn't do anything about adjusting the IRQs. But I did get the IRQs to read from the BIOS in my new system (the soyo ) by going to standard PC. But I could not install any of the motherboards drivers or they would all change back to 11. Problem is now my onboard LAN will send but not recieve anything and I am just connecting to a standard DHCP server my line is fine cause I will connect it to my laptop and get out just fine (same OS and settings). I think its due to not having the appropriate drivers for my motherboard. Could it just be that it is a visiontek card is why they say it has to be on IRQ 11. I never figured Nvidia themselves would be so single tracked. I will read through the links you posted and try these out when I get home from work. Thanks for the info.

P.S. oh by the way when I look at the PCI steering under the device manager I have it set up for BIOS call and not MS but it says IRQ steering tables not found.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by breygan on 01/29/02 10:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Understood. Thanks for the update on the situation.

Sound like you are between a rock and a hard place. Any possibility of trading in that PCI card for an AGP version (assuming your new board has an AGP slot)? I think this more to do with the problem than the brand of the card. Then you could enable ACPI, and that would almost certainly get rid of any device conflicts, which may be the problem with the onboard LAN.

Getting an AGP card is probably the best solution, IMHO. Seriously. If it was me, I'd get my video card out of the PCI bus and stop the suffering! Besides, something is bound to "give" soon; either the wall ... or your head. :wink:

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

G

Hey no problem. I wish I could just trade it in towards a AGP card but I bought it a while back. I would just go buy another card but seeing I just bought this whole new system and I really didn't figure I would have issues with the card now that I could adjust the BIOS so I didn't set aside enough money for that. I was moving to AGP in a few months (tax return) but I really don't want to have this nice system sitting here doing nothing until then either. With a wife and 3 kids money isn't exactly flowing just to throw towards a new card. I had been saving up for 4 months to build this system. I will keep playing with the system and see what I can come up with. Thanks again and I will let you know what happens