win2k pro & multiple login users

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Just installed win2k on my GF's PC.
What she wants now is multiple users, which she has setup, but in the login window, is it possible to select the login name via a pulldown menu rather than having to type it in each time?

there is no option for any pulldown menu it seems.

help?

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I do not believe this could be done (but I could be wrong)

<A HREF="http://evilcity.com/" target="_new">The city of evilness...</A>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I dont think it can be done either, uless theres some power tools out there somewhere, people normally want the opposite, i.e. no name displayed- which can be done of course.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
As everyone else said, there's no way to do it directly.. but I know a program and way to cheat and do it indirectly.
Get the program Safelogon at http://www.gemiscorp.com.
Set the computer to automatically logon as a certain user, preferrably one with admin rights. Install the safelogon program, and inside of this program, setup different user names according to what the end user wants.
What happens is, Win2k will auto-logon as whatever real user you chose, but this program will pop up immediately and present a pretty graphical logon with it's own user list. Completely transparent to the end user; they think they're logging onto the computer. The cool thing is you can alter user rights from within this program, so even if you are logged onto windows with administrator, you may have logged onto the program with a "normal" user who cannot change system settings.
An advanced user could undoubtedly find a way around this program, but if she wants it for convenience not security, this should fit fine.