Win2k servers in "stealth" mode

c6burns

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Hi all, I hope this makes you laugh, cuz it's pretty funny to me (and I have administer this network)

I'm running a Win2k domain here with 2 domain controllers. The funny thing is that the domain controllers aren't visible on the network through network neighborhood on the workstations (or on the servers for that matter). I can do a search for computers on the network, and it finds both domain controllers and insists that they are part of the domain, which makes sense. But they just don't show up.

The only thing that's suspect is that my machines are DHCPing from our firewall instead of the domain controller. I did this so that workstations could have the internet even if I was doing system maintenance. Is this a problem in any way? Is this the reason for the server "cloaking"?

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks all,

Chris Burns

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
mine does that!!!! evry now and then, netowrk places shows all the pc's except the DC, but when you put \\servername\share it finds it! also, when it does this, mapped drives arnt available.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

c6burns

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I find that if I fiddle with DNS or reboot systems, or change IPs on a few of the machines, they come back out of stealth mode. But I have no idea why.

However, I have left the computer alone (no fiddling) for the past 3 days and they stayed in stealth mode. Are your workstations DHCPing from the DC? That can't be the problem tho, because not even the DC can see the DC on the network.