win2k terminalserver, yellow ? and 2k TS cals expired, WHY..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hi all

One of our sites runs a 2000 teminal server in application mode, with about
20 remote users, all with valid 2000 Terminal Server Client access licenses.
The server is SP4, the term server is activated (obviously) and no-one using
temporary licenses.

When I went in the other day, I found that 2 workstations cannot log in to
terminal, and the terminal licensing screen is stating that their licenses
have expired!! this is odd as full TS cals DONT expire. Approximately 60
percent of the licenses in the licensing manager have an expiry date against
them now. In addition to this, there is a small yellow dot with a question
mark against the server name in the terminal licensing screen.

If I right click on the server, the option to 'activate' the server has
become available again but gives an error when you click on it (some
rusbbish useless error) and also the option to install licenses is not
available anymore. the re-activate option is not there at all.

Only other thing I can see is an error (ID 18 i think) in application log
that says 'the terminal server is unable to hand out a license'

Please help! I cannot do much at this point and in aboout a week, all
licenses will expire, with no way of reinstalling them etc!!!

Thanks a lot :)

--
Ash Rile
Systems Engineer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

First some clarification about expiration dates:
A Licensing Enhancement was introduced in SP3, which adds an
expiration date to all "permanent" TS CALs. This was introduced to
avoid TS CALs from being completely lost when a client was discarded.
Normally, a permanent TS CAL is issued to a clients and gets an
expiration date of 52-89 days. When only a week is left, the client
automatically renews its TS CAL. If the client does not connect
during that period, the TS CAL expires and is returned to the pool of
licenses on the LS, where it becomes available to a new client.
Your Licensing Manager shows that the TS CALs which have an
expiration date are installed *after* the LS and TS ran SP3, the
licenses without an expiration date where installed *before* SP3. You
might see that some of those licenses are issued to old clients, that
don't exist anymore. If so, you will have to phone the Clearinghouse
to get those licenses re-issued.

Now to the real problem:
EventID 18, Source TermServLicensing means: Terminal Services
Licensing on server <server name> has not been activated. Terminal
Services Licensing will only issue temporary licenses until the
server is activated."

So activating the LS seems to be what is needed. Could you post the
full "rusbbish useless error" that you get, when you try to do that?
It might be rubbish to you, but it usually contains information that
is needed to solve the problem.

This might also help:
306578 - HOW TO: Deactivate or Reactivate a License Server Using
Terminal Services Licensing
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306578

287687 - Terminal Services Licensing Enhancements
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287687

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Ash Rile" <anonymous@im.sorry> wrote in

> Hi all
>
> One of our sites runs a 2000 teminal server in application mode,
> with about 20 remote users, all with valid 2000 Terminal Server
> Client access licenses. The server is SP4, the term server is
> activated (obviously) and no-one using temporary licenses.
>
> When I went in the other day, I found that 2 workstations cannot
> log in to terminal, and the terminal licensing screen is stating
> that their licenses have expired!! this is odd as full TS cals
> DONT expire. Approximately 60 percent of the licenses in the
> licensing manager have an expiry date against them now. In
> addition to this, there is a small yellow dot with a question
> mark against the server name in the terminal licensing screen.
>
> If I right click on the server, the option to 'activate' the
> server has become available again but gives an error when you
> click on it (some rusbbish useless error) and also the option to
> install licenses is not available anymore. the re-activate
> option is not there at all.
>
> Only other thing I can see is an error (ID 18 i think) in
> application log that says 'the terminal server is unable to hand
> out a license'
>
> Please help! I cannot do much at this point and in aboout a
> week, all licenses will expire, with no way of reinstalling them
> etc!!!
>
> Thanks a lot :)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Thanks for your fast response Vera...

The error when you right click on the server in licensing manager and select
'activate' is:

'the licensing server encountered an internal error from the license
server - 0xc0110011'

The things is Vera, the server has been activated, about 1.5 years ago! so
it has 'reverted' somehow...
Have you ever seen this little yellow question mark against one before? i
hadn't..

Regards

Ash

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> [...]
> > that their licenses have expired!! this is odd as full TS cals
> > DONT expire. Approximately 60 percent of the licenses in the
> > licensing manager have an expiry date against them now. In
> > addition to this, there is a small yellow dot with a question
> > mark against the server name in the terminal licensing screen.
> >
> > If I right click on the server, the option to 'activate' the
> > server has become available again but gives an error when you
> > click on it (some rusbbish useless error) and also the option to
> > install licenses is not available anymore. the re-activate
> > option is not there at all.
> >
> > Only other thing I can see is an error (ID 18 i think) in
> > application log that says 'the terminal server is unable to hand
> > out a license'
> >
> > Please help! I cannot do much at this point and in aboout a
> > week, all licenses will expire, with no way of reinstalling them

Willy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I too, am having problems with Terminal Server in our environment. I
looked at the TS Licensing server, and I am getting Event 38(Can't
generate a license for client because of error 'Can't add certificate
to store, error c0010020).
When I try to access TS Licensing mmc - the server is yellow. And if I
activate I get 0xc011011 (Licensing Wizard encountered an internal
error from Licensing Server.)
Looking at the Term Server itself. I noticed I am getting Event 1004
(Term Server cannot issue a client license.)

We are: Win2k server, SP4; Win2k TS Server, SP4; and Win2k Pro
clients.

I saw Vera post somewhere else that e may have to re-install TS
service. How do we do that to ensure that any references/reg settings
are wiped and re-installed?
It seemed that we were fine with our environment until the beginning
of this year.

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.
William

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a week....

The "internal error 0xc0110011" usually means that the
terminal server licensing database has become corrupt.
Usually it requires an uninstall and reinstall of terminal server
licensing (not Terminal Services itself!).