Win32.small.ca

angelberry66

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello,
Please please help me remove this insane virus hiding in my files. I've tried everything. Thankyou so much, i want to get rid of this without it erasing my pc.

I also posted on another forum asking for help:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/computers-technology/win32-small-ca-trojan-worst-virus-i-ve-had-please-help/t.75921989/

Thankyou

angelberry66

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Thankyou for the reply everyone. But as usual, none of them picked it up.
Basically this virus began when i downloaded something, AVG told me to either move it to quarantine (which it wouldn't) or do nothing. So I forced it to move, causing my whole pc to crash.

Now when I start windows up in normal mode the only thing i see is the mouse. I think the virus is preventing me from starting up windows normally.

Also I think this virus is responsible for APPCRASH, which Action Center told me about

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

It's just instinct really... I spent a bit of time in the military and as a precautionary method any time a box is infected once forensic work is done the machine is wiped and reinstalled... I personally keep good backups and an install is not very time consuming so it's just easy... plus super clean machine is just refreshing... I reinstall windows almost annually...

If you have all your irreplaceable personal files and data backup you can try one more approach.

Thats using a bootable CD AV scan. It loads it's own operating system and without the infected Win7 OS running to defend itself it might succedd where the others failed.

The Win32.small is a 'backdoor' and likely not your major problem. I'm thinking you have a rootkit - where the OS itself has been modified and has some capability to defend itself.

AVG Rescue CD . You download the .iso file and burn it to a CD. Boot the CD (use F12 at power on to get the Advanced Boot Menu) and run the AV scanner.

angelberry66

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Thankou so much for helping my identify the problem.
The only thing is, when I try to insert a disc into my disc drive it won't open!!!
I honestly don't know why either. It's just not doing anything no matter how many times i preses it

That might be a very crafty rootkit defending itself.

Can you open the CD/DVD drive before Windows loads, right after power on?
Can you burn the CD on a different computer?

If necessary, I think we can get you a non-infected OS that you can bootup and run.
It's not Windows - but it pretty much looks and acts the same way.
Ubuntu Desktop use on a CD or USB thumb drive.
Use the F12 key at power on to get the Advanced boot menu and choose the DVD or USB drive.

angelberry66

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I've burned it on another laptop, i just can't insert it into my pc...I thought it was something to do with the motherboard not being connected, (or something like that) to the disc drive.

Then I tried looking into Registry editor (using this thread as a guide http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/159708-35-drive-device-manager-error-reported) But I couldn't delete the folder, it just said "error while deleting key". Then I noticed "Creator owner had full control" but that's probably nothing but it just bugged me.

I think i'll try doing it on a usb drive. I also tried the "pin trick" which didn't work either. But I cannot thankyou enough for your help

angelberry66

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Just recieved an error message when installing Ubuntu:
"An error occured: Extraction failed with code 2 For more information, please see the log file: c:\users\eleanor\appdata\local\temp\wubi-11.10-rev241.log"

:fou:

Check the USB stick and use the Show Me How instructions:

ss057.jpg

Based on this, theres the possiblity of a false-positive, and you moved a critical system file, borking the system..

I work in the defense industry; we format whenever theres a virus because we can't risk any remenant, even if all traces of hte virus are gone. For home users, formatting should never be required.

angelberry66

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I seriously cannot thankyou enough, now windows is working again in normal mode oh my god i'm so happy.
Now all i need to do is get rid of the virus right? What anti malware program should i run?

angelberry66

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
This is gonna sound really frustrating.
But I use a TV insted of a pc moniter (i know you're thining what has this got to do with anything), but if i don't wait long enough for my computer to load up, (while the tv is switched on) it just says "out of range".

It did this when I installed the Ubuntu application...while it was on boot menu i waited because it kept saying "USB device not ready error" or something like that, and kept repeating. Then the screen would just flicker off and then i'd get the "out of range" message again. I had to keep restarting my PC, and then waiting till I knew it was doing a scan in the boot menu, then switch the TV on. I did only just see the Ubuntu logo, then it went out of range again. Restarting again, I was lead to start up repair. It told me to remove the USB stick, and then when I did windows was working normally again.

But I think it was that Ubuntu :D.

Now i'm doing scans, I used rKill, now using Malwarebytes and Microsoft Safety Scanner. So far nothing has detected it still. Earlier, I was lead to strange websites...Firefox opened by itself and tried to lead me to an "AVG page" that said something like "THE **** I FEAR FOR MANKIND"...o_O

Is your CD/DVD drive working again?

It's probably time to make a System Repair Disk with Windows7.
If the CD/DVD drive isnt working a USB thumb drive will work too.
From the Start Menu type repair in the search bar at the bottom and choose Create A System Repair Disc from the Program options.

angelberry66

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
No it's not. But after i downloaded something, the CD drive is now visable in device manager (it wasn't before) but i still can't open it or see that it's on my computer.
This is gonna sound really stupid but...my dad took the pc apart so now the circuits are showing.
Well i don't know how but a coin got stuck on one of the circuits, and he said that could be why the cd drive isn't working

Im thinking that Ubuntu was working on the bootloader and that the prompt for repair took care of the rest once Ubuntu had initialize its own bootloader.

Next, once that System Repair Disk is done a AVG Rescue CD scan (can also be done from a USB stick) without Windows running and see what it can find.
If there is a repeat of the AVG finding an infected system file I think the Repair disc will handle it.
A rootkit works on or replaces parts of the Windows OS itself which is why it can be extra tricky to handle.

TRENDING THREADS