Win7 boot loop with Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard

tglo2016

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Hi everyone!
I’m hoping someone might be able to help with my Win7 boot loop problem.
I’ve looked online, and although there are many win7 boot loops issues, non appear to be the same as mine.

I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 12GB RAM, Samsung 850 SSD, I7-950 processor, with Win7 64 Home Premium, and it was working fine until I tried to reboot yesterday.

The BIOS splash/ check screen appears ok, and it starts to load Windows. However after a few seconds, just as the Windows 7 splash screen appears, the system reboots. There is no BSOD showing.

I can enter BIOS ok, and on one occasion I accessed Win7 help to try and boot in safe mode but this too resulted in the boot loop. I have also used Windows to check the memory and it passed ok.

I have tried my spare boot disk and also my original Win7 disks, but none will get beyond the same few seconds of splash screen before rebooting/looping.

I’ve wasn’t overclocking, but I have entered BIOS and reset to default just in case the problem was there, but it made no difference.

I have three sticks of Corsair 4mb RAM, and have tried using just one, swapping them over to test all three, but still no difference.

I have also tried using different SATA sockets and cables.

I’m suspecting it’s a motherboard hardware failure rather than an operating system problem, but before I consign the system to the great recycling tip in the sky, I’m wondering if there are any suggestions of other things I could try?

Or do others think it signals a motherboard failure?

One last thing that may, or may not, be relevant is what I was doing just before the boot loop started.

I was using Acronis Disk Cleaner to delete data from a failing hard disk. Acronis seemed to start, but then there was no activity for some time, so I closed the program and started it again. The same thing occurred a second time, so after leaving it running for about a hour, I shut the system down and removed the hard disk. It was when I tried to reboot that the boot loop problem started. I’d like to think it was coincidence that it happened at the same time, because I don’t know what damage Acronis could have done to the motherboard or BIOS?

Many thanks for reading this.

Solution
Fixed !

We swapped out the Power Supply for a replacement and, like magic, it booted fine. No reboots after the Windows 7 splash logo.

My friend then tested the cable on the old p/s and found that the PCI-E connector was faulty.

He replaced the original power supply, ( I guess he wanted his back) used an alternative PCI-E cable, and its still works fine.

My thanks also to sancho_mic who pointed me in the right direction of checking the P/S.

I'm very happy now :)

tglo2016

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

Unfortunately I can't even get it to load from the original Windows DVD, so I am presuming its a hardware problem rather than software.

Whether I use my backup boot SSD or the Windows DVD, it always fails in the same place on the Windows splash screen and reboots.

I've spotted a very similar problem posted here yesterday, and the advice given was to try to swap power supply and graphics card. I should be able to borrow some kit early next week for testing.

Just hoping its not the motherboard, because they stopped making 1366 boards years ago!

tglo2016

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

That's good to know. Thanks for the link :)

tglo2016

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Fixed !

We swapped out the Power Supply for a replacement and, like magic, it booted fine. No reboots after the Windows 7 splash logo.

My friend then tested the cable on the old p/s and found that the PCI-E connector was faulty.

He replaced the original power supply, ( I guess he wanted his back) used an alternative PCI-E cable, and its still works fine.

My thanks also to sancho_mic who pointed me in the right direction of checking the P/S.

I'm very happy now :)

Solution