[SOLVED] Win7 cant connect to internet via ios hotspot

tim_72

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
I usually use my phone hot-spot to surf the web and play online games but recently its thrown me for a loop. I connect to any android hot-spot no problemo and other router-based internet sources as well but as soon as I connect to an ios hot-spot I can't access the internet at all. My network icon shows I have excellent signal strength and internet access but in reality, I don't.
Also using Win7 HP if that makes any difference.

I didn't know where else to post but if anyone has any idea whats going on or something I missed, plz, let me know.

Last edited:
Solution
ah right win 7, there should be something
[
To start wireless diagnostics tracing, do one of the following:

• Type the netsh wlan set tracing mode=yes command at a command prompt.
  • In the console tree of the Reliability and Performance Monitor snap-in, open Data Collector Sets/System. Right-click Wireless Diagnostics, and then click Start.

After you have reproduced the problem and want to stop wireless diagnostics tracing, do one of the following:

• Type the netsh wlan set tracing mode=no command.
  • In the console tree of the Reliability and Performance Monitor snap-in, open Data Collector Sets/System. Right-click Wireless Diagnostics, and then click Stop.

Note: It is important to stop the wireless...

tim_72

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
on your windows PC, open comand prompt with admin rights
type in:
netsh wlan show wlanreport
it will analyze your network status for last 2 days and store it in html
which u can analyze or upload somewhere and link it here
I just tried that and apparently that is for win10, Is there a similar command for win7?

ah right win 7, there should be something
[
To start wireless diagnostics tracing, do one of the following:

• Type the netsh wlan set tracing mode=yes command at a command prompt.
  • In the console tree of the Reliability and Performance Monitor snap-in, open Data Collector Sets/System. Right-click Wireless Diagnostics, and then click Start.

After you have reproduced the problem and want to stop wireless diagnostics tracing, do one of the following:

• Type the netsh wlan set tracing mode=no command.
  • In the console tree of the Reliability and Performance Monitor snap-in, open Data Collector Sets/System. Right-click Wireless Diagnostics, and then click Stop.

Note: It is important to stop the wireless diagnostics tracing prior to viewing or gathering the trace logs to initiate a process that converts the trace files into a readable format.

To view the report generated by wireless diagnostics tracing, in the console tree of the Reliability and Performance Monitor snap-in, open Reports/System/Wireless Diagnostics.

The report includes the following information:

• Wireless configuration, including allowed and blocked wireless networks
  • Current TCP/IP configuration (including data provided by the ipconfig /all command)
  • A list of all connection attempts and detailed information about each step of the connection process
  • A detailed list of all Windows Network Diagnostics events
  • Wireless client certificate configuration
  • Wireless profiles and their locations
  • Wireless network adapter driver information
  • Wireless networking system files and versions
  • Raw network tracing information
  • Computer make and model
  • Operating system version
  • A list of all services, their current states, and their process identifiers

This report and its associated files are stored by default in the %SystemRoot%\Tracing\Wireless folder.

/QUOTE]

Solution

tim_72

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
So I ran the WLAN report and have but I don’t know how to link it here. I scanned thru it just to take a peek and didn’t see anything.

While I was online I found a link that had these instructions

1. Reset network Settings on iPhone: Settings > General > (scroll down) Reset > Reset Network Settings (this will reboot the phone, & rename it to “iPhone”)
  2. Rename the iPhone after reboot: Settings > General > About > Name (use something less generic)
  3. Change the Hotspot password: Settings > Personal Hotspot > Wi-Fi Password

On a Windows (7) computer (Windows 10 is slightly different):
  1. Right click the network icon in the system tray > “Open Network and Sharing Center” > “Manage wireless networks” (Google will show you how to get here in Win 10)
  2. Remove ALL instances of iPhone hotspots you see
  3. Enable & connect to the iPhone hotspot

While connected to the iPhone Hotspot:
  1. In the Network and Sharing center, in the “view your active networks” section; click the network (blue text, something to the effect of…) “Wireless Connection (iPhone)”
  2. You’ll see that IPV4 shows “no internet”, while IPV6 shows “Internet”
  3. Open an elevated command prompt (run as admin)
  4. Run the following commands (do not reboot as suggested by the CMD);
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
11) Same as step 7, only now you should see that both IPv4 & IPv6 are pulling IPs, & have internet.

Crazily this worked for now...any idea as to why this happens?