Question Win7 fresh install rejects partition

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I've done a fresh installation of Windows 7U x64 multiple times but the last one was quite some time ago. I still have a thumb drive with an unattended Win7 installation that I made a few years ago and used more than once.

I got a new SSD for my old computer, made an 80GB active NTFS partition for the OS. But when I tried to install Windows, I got stuck at an early stage. The flash drive boots and goes past the 'Starting Windows' stage. When it reaches the part where I'm asked where I want to install Windows, it lists the available partitions but refuses to proceed after I select the active partition.

The error message is "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition." I've done a fresh installation on this system before (except for the new SSD). The installer disk is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I must have missed something while preparing the system partition. I've rechecked it in a working system and it is active and formatted. Can anyone please tell me what the problem could be?

TRENDING THREADS