Question Win7 Graphics driver has stopped working and recovered

maddcok35

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
I initially thought this was a display problem but it would appear it isn't.

I thought my graphics driver was crashing due to a certain application, but I have stopped using said application and it just crashed, so this might actually be a graphics card problem. When it first started giving the stopped working error I was using a driver that was a few updates out-of-date, but I am now using the most recent version. I'm not sure how to get the temp of it but it's likely to be around 40-50C. The card is at max 1 year old. It hasn't been under any extreme stress. The only times it's ever been handled was during instillation and when I cleaned it about a month ago.

I did a quick Google search and a common solution was increasing the processing time but this doesn't seem to have helped either helped either

The error says a Windows Kernel Mode Driver has stopped responding and recovered

Don't know what to call it but screen tearing is closest thing I guess.

Happens when scrolling an any speed. My graphics driver has recently started failing (stopped working and recovered). Not sure if that is relevant but telling so can't hurt

I am using Win 7 64-bit.
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
Intel i7-8700 3.2GHz
Monitor: AOC 2275W

maddcok35

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
The 'screen tearing' is due to vsync being off, that's all.
Are you overclocking any of your components? Maybe try display drive uninstaller and then reinstall the latest driver?
I used DDU to remove it and have reinstalled. This hasn't stopped it 'crashing'

I'll turn vsync on, thought it might be related to the issue given it's never happened before the 'crashing'