Win7 keeps restarting, startup repair and system restore fails, runs in safe mode

Quietus Legion

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Hello

In short my computer refuses to start win 7, it tries to repair it, but fails. I have tried system restore point and restore to previous known working state but neither works. The computer will start in safe mode though.

Some background:
This started when my AVG virus software started telling me it could not update so I uninstalled it (or rather tried to update it by downloading a new version of it and trying to install it over the old, but this had some problems so I uninstalled it). I rebooted after the uninstall and the cycle above started.

At this point time I tried restoring the system to the point before I tried the "install new version over the old" and the restore was successful but the problem persisted. After this though, no restore point will work anymore, I just get

"unspecified error occurred during system restore 0x8000ffff"

Apparently the first restore really did work as when I started in safe mode, the AVG was there and I uninstalled it hoping it would help, but no.

I've tried running the Repair Computer option from win7 disk, but it wont work. I can not even try to reinstall win7 at the moment because I get this when trying to select any partition:

windows 7 windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk has an mbr partition table gpt

I know this is related to the fact that I have an UEFI motherboard, but the fact I can get to safe mode sort of confuses me.

Now the problem in not really that I can not find helpful things on google, but rather the fact that I can find too many so I was hoping if someone more experienced than me could point me to the right direction from that description.

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards,
Q

*Edit* After following some advice I was given I was able to achieve 1 normal boot to windows after uninstalling AVG with a specific uninstall tool from AVG web site. However after that the problem came back exactly as it was. So things seem to point to AVG, but I'm at a loss on what to do about it

Quietus Legion

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately it did not help (no problems found) but I did learn of a new thing :)