Win7 Laptop shutting off during startup/boot, only when AC isn't plugged in (Dell M3800)

Jul 30, 2018
Hello guys,

Lately I've been running into an issue with my Windows 7 Dell M3800 laptop.
On windows resume/startup, the computer shuts off abruptly after the windows logo flies in to the screen. It is always 1-5 seconds after the windows logo where this problem occurs. Usually I will just see my login & picture and then it will shut off. When I start it up and try again, the "windows did not shut down correctly" screen comes up. If I start windows normally, the same issue occurs. However, If I boot into safe mode, the issue resolves.

This problem only occurs when it is running off battery power. When it is plugged in, the laptop starts up fine and has absolutely no issues. I did install a new battery lately, but it is OEM so I don't think that's the issue, but maybe a driver causing it to crash?

I ran the system diagnostics from the boot menu, it shut off again when it was on battery. So I plugged it in and ran it, and no issues popped up, it said my system passed all tests.

I have looked into System Restore also, but don't have a far enough backup to what was before the problem. I also ran virus scans and ADW cleaner and I eliminated a few threats so that is all good.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this issue? My laptop still functions perfectly, but I can't take it anywhere if I know this is going to happen every time I try to start it up.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated!

Solution
I'm not an expert. More of an experienced hobbyist. I have a few things you may want to try if no one has a better answer.
You can try calibrating the battery. Basically by charging to full and draining it. (I would just google how).
Also some companies have a sensor in their batteries. To make sure it's "genuine". You can try to reset this by removing the battery. Plug in the laptop and start it up. Then shut it down. Then reinstall the battery.
You may also want to check your advanced power settings. Maybe turn them up and see if that makes a difference. It's not exactly a fix, but might give you more of an idea.

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
I'm not an expert. More of an experienced hobbyist. I have a few things you may want to try if no one has a better answer.
You can try calibrating the battery. Basically by charging to full and draining it. (I would just google how).
Also some companies have a sensor in their batteries. To make sure it's "genuine". You can try to reset this by removing the battery. Plug in the laptop and start it up. Then shut it down. Then reinstall the battery.
You may also want to check your advanced power settings. Maybe turn them up and see if that makes a difference. It's not exactly a fix, but might give you more of an idea.

Solution
Jul 30, 2018

Hi tejayd,
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. When I get home from work tonight I will try out what you said and post results, hopefully one of which will solve the issue.