Win7 or Win 8 for gaming

Barracuda115

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
So im building my PC and i dont know if i should go for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. This PC is for gaming, and i will have a GTX 770. So witch OS is better (like more fps in games or like that).

Solution
G

This thread is turning too political.
It's entirely up to you what you want, you shouldn't take other people's opinions and apply it to yourself. Only you will know what you do and don't like.
If anything, watch some videos on youtube or something to get an idea of what each OS is like and see what you'd prefer.

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Windows 8.1 would be the better option for future reference. Uses less memory and has Directx 11.1 etc. I have read that there are some issues regarding the mouse etc with games in Windows 8.1 but Microsoft is working on it. I've also seen that games like bf4 show a huge improvement in performance on Windows 8 compared to 7. Also make sure its the 64bit version.

Microsoft should fix the issues with updates. I would personally go for 8 If I were you

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Windows 8 has like 1 fps increase, so yes Win 8 would be the best choice. You could always download 'Classic Shell' if you hate the layout of Windows 8. The program allows you to access the Start button that is missing. And it will pretty much look like Windows 7 in general. And yes Battlefield 4 recommends Windows 8.

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

WIndows 8.1 has the start button

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Ah, awesome. Haven't got myself to upgrade it yet though.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I don't mean to be a rusty gear but...

The capitalist system has performed the old 'switcheroo' on you guys.

You think, 'Hey, MS has come up with an operating system that works.'

Well, I've been hearing that same tune since the 'Un-crashable' XP was launched.

Create a demand and supply it.

Huh? You've got it backwards guys. Microsoft create a supply and demand it. They've been doing that all along and we, ahem, blindly empty our wallets into Bill Gates' reservoir.

And why do we need a shell to pretend that Windows 8 is Windows 7? Why not just release a Service Pack that makes Windows 7 as efficient as they say Windows * is?

Why not have a shell that makes Windows 7 look like Windows 8? Like a skin, if you will. As a fashion thing.

:no: No. We should demand that the stuff we buy works the way they promised it would and it never does. Not for long.

You watch. In a year's time this forum will be packed with people being plagued by an 0e error and blue screen while trying to play new games on Windows 8.

But it will be okay because Windows 9 will have definitely, definitely got it right and for just $200 dollars the woes of the world will be solved.

:no: So, say no! :no: Say no to being bullied into binning your perfectly serviceable equipment.

:no: Say No! I am not interested in your supplies, I want you to satisfy my demands.

If we have to live in a capitalistic world then let's do it with pride.

Supply and demand. We demand, they supply. I never asked them to make my lovely Acer Aspire 5738Z obsolete and I will do everything I can to stop it becoming so.

Treat your equipment with respect. Love it. It cost you enough.

Fight for it as you would fight for a loyal but simple friend.

Fight for the right to remain a happy customer rather than a disgruntled user.

Fight for your pride and dignity.

Say NO! to Microsoft Tax. :no:

NO! to a Bill Gates levy. :no:

Say NO! to Windows 8. :no:

A vote for me is a vote for the future, today.

Thank you for listening.

HND.

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

Uhm ok... wow

G

I was in the same boat building my pc two weeks ago. I ultimately decided to say, YOLO (lol) I'll spend the extra $10 and get the latest Windows OS!

I love 8.1 (installed 8, upgraded to 8.1).

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

Yes seriously. You are getting a bit annoying now. The OP asked a question and he is getting answers and opinions. Should he settle for an inferior OS just because you want him to make a stand? Be a rebel? What exactly are you trying to do here? All I know is that its not helping.

Out of a gaming perspective with his new PC I recommend Windows 8.1. Why settle for 7 when he doesnt have it? Windows 8.1 has directx 11.2 etc. His 770 should support the performance enhancing features for that in games like Battlefield 4 etc.

So there.

Now go look for sheep somewhere else

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

You ain't the boss of me and just because I am the odd one out here doesn't put you in a superior position.

Bill Gates is rich because you entirely miss the point by having your head in the sand.

Why can't Windows 7 utilize DX 11?

And how does Windows 8 manage?

You seem to forget, Windows is supposed to be invisible. We don't buy computers to run Windows, we buy them to edit video, or audio or whatever else we do with our systems.

And if you think Windows 8 is the panacea for all our computer problem just jump across to the Windows 8 forum and look at the problems it is causing.

If you think that all games will run under Windows 8, have a look at the Windows 8 forum and see the reality.

This site is useful only because Microsoft fail time after time to deliver.

So discard those rose-tinted spectacles and you will see...

... THE EMPEROR WEARS NO CLOTHES.

Also, name-calling and spitting on me is not a convincing argument. If you want to engage with and disagree with me then you should at least try to come across as someone who actually knows something about something.

Remember where you are: You are in the Windows 7 forum and you are talking to a Windows 7 expert.

Although it is cute and funny to watch the flock of sheep behave like a pack of wolves.

Have a nice day. :)

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

yet bill gates gave half of his money to a foundation :\

Also out of a programming perspective. Having to support all the operating systems the whole time is just stupid. I get that you have an issue with Microsoft. But its not helping the OP

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Good on ya pal. You show Microsoft who's in charge.

(All of this is meant to be tongue in cheek, to some extent, by the way. I have no wish to offend anyone who is not Microsoft affiliated.*)

* Terms and conditions apply.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

And nor will Microsoft.

None of us can help the OP. That's the point. And Microsoft won't.

Did you have a look at the other forum?

Windows seems to be behaving as a highly addictive drug.

And as far as new O/S's are concerned; if it ain't broke, then why fix it?

Peruse this site and see what a great job Microsoft are doing.

We don't need new stuff, we want the old stuff to work. I mean, programming is not a new technology.

It is change for the sake of change and it is bad for the pocket and it is bad for the environment.

Microsoft are not good.

Dictators are rarely good.

G

This thread is turning too political.
It's entirely up to you what you want, you shouldn't take other people's opinions and apply it to yourself. Only you will know what you do and don't like.
If anything, watch some videos on youtube or something to get an idea of what each OS is like and see what you'd prefer.

Solution

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Exactly. Try out both sisters and whichever one is the better kisser, keep.

At least until another sister comes along. :lol: