Win7 or Win 8 for gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barracuda115

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
So im building my PC and i dont know if i should go for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. This PC is for gaming, and i will have a GTX 770. So witch OS is better (like more fps in games or like that).

Solution
G

This thread is turning too political.
It's entirely up to you what you want, you shouldn't take other people's opinions and apply it to yourself. Only you will know what you do and don't like.
If anything, watch some videos on youtube or something to get an idea of what each OS is like and see what you'd prefer.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I actually thought this line was frightfully funny in its internal contradiction.

It's like saying: Don't listen to people's opinions but here's some advice...'

Pure comedy gold.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Oh! You're a lucky man sir. I hope you'll be very happy together.

(Shall we toss for who got the solution that solved this thread?)

It came up tails and I chose tails.

Would you do the honours, please? :pt1cable:

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Well obviously I am very disappointed with the result but I thought we fought a spirited campaign and I would like to say to all those who supported me - thank you.

Your loyalty and trust will give me the strength to stand again next year; the fortitude to withstand my opposition and...

...THE RESOLVE TO BE VICTORIOUS.

Vote for a future, today.

Again. my brothers and sisters in the struggle, THANK YOU.

FTW - FMS.

jakeBauer

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

Well if you do not mind window 8.x reporting on you and its high lack of security then go with it, but windows 7 is still far more secure than windows 8.

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

I'd love to see you give examples of this (not being sarcastic, I actually want to see what you are talking about).. but in the mean time read the following

http://www.itworld.com/consumerization-it/372106/windows-7-has-6-times-more-security-threats-windows-8-according-microsoft

http://www.howtogeek.com/128182/6-ways-windows-8-is-more-secure-than-windows-7/

http://betanews.com/2013/08/16/windows-8-is-21-times-safer-than-xp-and-6-times-safer-than-windows-7/

EnK

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Of course Microsoft will say that, its there way of selling more people to windows 8..

And how do you not know microsoft isn't giving them a grant to advertise that stuff? you never know..

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

Have you ever used Windows 8? The restrictions on windows 8 and seurity popups annoy the crap out of me. Also windows 8 is built ontop of windows 7. Saying windows 8 is not as secure as windows 7 just doesn't make sense to me. Its windows 7 with added security, optimizations, features, Better Memory management, touch screen support and an updated DirectX. I'm not saying that Windows 8 is not as secure as Windows 7 because I personally don't know. I will say that it doesn't make sense though and from personal experience I've found Windows 8 to be more reliable, faster and secure than Windows 7. Keep in mind I didn't have any issues with Windows 7 either.

EnK

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Good points, I do have to agree, i use both.. win7 at home, and win8 at work. (work rules, gotta use win8)

But both are reasonbly good., much more so with the release of 8.1.

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
The only thing I do know about Windows 8 is that with the Online account you share more information with Microsoft. Out of that perspective I can understand why people have an issue. Especially after all the crap regarding personal information and invasion of privacy etc. But we should try and be realistic here too

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

My view on this is. If you have something to hide then be paranoid :p