Win7 | PC freezes randomly, mostly while gaming

_nowhere_

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hello everyone,

I got this problem for over a year now and nor any of my friends nor anyone on the internet was able to help me.

But first let me describe my Problem:
Mostly while I am gaming (eg CS GO) or while watching youtube videos (but sometimes also while doing other tasks) my computer freezes completely and my keyboard and mouse stop working.
When freezing the screen stops with what was the last rendered screen and my audio gets buzzy and or seems to play in slowmotion. After waiting for about 2 minutes average my computer recovers from the freeze and continues as normal. Local programs or games while continue where they left of, only while playing online the connection breaks down and i have to leave the current lobby.

About my system:
(I build it myself and everything works fine besides this :/)
CPU: Xeon e3 1230v3
Mainboard: Asus H87-Plus
GPU: Gygabyte Gtx 770 2GB
RAM: Crucial ballistix sport 2*4GB
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD: Crucial M500 120GB
Wlan-Card: from toplink (if its relevant i can look up the exact model)
Cooler: Alpenföhn Groß Glockner revC
Power supply: bequiet PurePower l8 530W

What I experienced:
- Freezes seem to be pretty random to me
- although they happen more often when gaming or watching youtube
- The freezes can happen every ten minutes to once a Day/ Week/Month
- After some freezes it says my videodriver ''nvlddmkm'' crashed and has been recovered, sometimes it says nothing
- As i reinstalled windows many times it appeared to work better after some reinstalls and worse after others but it always kept happening (after my second last reinstall for example it only happened twice)
I just cant draw a connection to anything as there is no general thing that reoccurs everytime besides the freeze and buzzy sound

What I tried:
As i didnt really know how to start off I just simply tried to reintstall windows and see if it disappears but nothing happened.
Then i posted my problem in a forum and was told to try earlier video drivers what i eventually did with no effect on the problem.
Then I tested my ram with memtest86 for several hours with no errors. I also tested my HDD and SSD (the HDD with a tool from seagate). All tests went well.
Then i was told to look up the event viewer after the freezes where i often found the error about the video driver ''nvlddmkm''. (I have some Logs on this stored if you want to see them)
This lead me to believe the problem was about my graficscard. So i logged its temperature while a freeze happened, but there was nothing special about it. (no peak before freeze or any other unusual happening)
I then ran furmark for about 30minutes also with no crashes or errors and with a max temp of 80°C

Further Information:
I am currently running my PC on my HDD only with steam, chrome and a few games installed so the influence of another program causing the error can be neglected.
I also installed Ubuntu once on my PC and had no problems (Although I didnt use it that heavily and didnt game on it).
I havent got a second graficscard to exchange and test nor any other secondary components but a freind will give me a copy of win8 tommorow just to test it out.

I hope I gave enough Information on my problem for you to give me hints or tell me what to try and do next :) If you need any further Information about my system or any logs or differant things feel free to ask, ill try my best to collect them.
I hope somebody can finally help me to fix that problem, thank you for your answers.

Paul

PS: Sorry for any mistakes considering the English language as i am not a native speaker.

Because the GPU (gtx770) is the factory overclocked one, the problem maybe from the oc that cause unstable so you may try use the MSI afterburner to increase the voltage or underclock the GPU, and try use the PC to see it does still freeze or not.

And you may try use only one stick RAM, use the PC to watch the youtube to see it will freeze or not.

Also you may try use the mini hardware to test the PC too.

_nowhere_

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I tried to lower the clock speed but it still froze. Considering the voltage im a little bit worried that could harm my grafics card, is there anything i have to pay attention to?

I can do this but i already tested each RAM stick seperatly with memtest. But if you think it is beneficial i can do it for sure :)

Im really sorry but i dont redally understand what you mean with ''mini hardware''

Sorry, mini= minium, like take out other sound card, extra hard drive, etc.

Try to up the voltage a little bit, and under clock will be fine too, because you try that, you may try use other GPU to see the PC will freeze or not, I think the gtx770 maybe defect.

_nowhere_

Reputable
May 19, 2015

Sorry was busy in school so i forgot to reply, i now installed win 8.1 and for now (3 days) freezes seem to be gone.
But now i got heavy problems with my Internet connection -.- seems as the problems wont stop