Win7 sickly slow, most program doesn't respond, no hardware trouble

Q4Rspwn

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Just went from Vista to Windows 7 as I've installed my new components, and that must be the worst decision I've ever made to a PC. It all started by the problem that my new QPAD MK-85 got stuck on some key(s) so I had to reboot my PC every third of all bootups, a problem that never occured in Vista. That problem went away, but now I'm going with a fully updated SP1, experiencing serious issues, making me wanna throw the piece of sh*t away forever.

Specs: *Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R
*i7 930 @ 2.93 GHz + Corsair H100i, never runs above +40ºc, hyperthreading enabled. PCB runs at ~50-55ºc
*12GB DDR3-1333
*Intel 510 SSD - 120 GB
*Samsung HDD - 500 GB
*nVidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB
*XFX Core Edition 450W
*Windows 7 X64 build 7601

Problems: *Internet Explorer 10 (no matter x86 or x64) instantly crashes at 9 of 10 times opened.
*Taskbar crashes while connecting to a network.
*Control Panel crashes while connecting to a network.
*Network connection becomes unusuable for a minute per 5 minutes, the network is all fine.
*Third-party gadgets opens 3 to 5 minutes after startup.
*Skype doesn't respond for the first 2 minutes since logon.
*Task manager hangs while trying to end task tree of Internet Explorer

What I've tried so far:
*Checked for viruses and malware (fully updated Kaspersky 2013 and SUPERAntispyware Professional, I've also run ESET and Kaspersky Online Scanner)
*A full health check of SSD (87% life left, no problems occured), and also been running the optimization tools
*A full CHKDSK of the storage drive D: (no problems occured)
*Checked S.M.A.R.T. with CrystalDiskInfo (everything is fine)
*Checked CPU/RAM Usage with CPU Meter, no problem occured
*Turned off hibernation file.
*Turned off swap file (and also on again, but it doesn't make any sense at all)

I've also noticed that 20GB of free space have gone away from my storage disk D:\. I don't really get how it happened, as I've didn't install anything and the PC wasn't even connected to Internet at that time. All I've done is that I've changed the registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci) and turned the value "Start" to 0. After enabling AHCI mode, it began to run like this. Any suggestions?

Q4Rspwn

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

Yep. I just bought the SSD right before installing W7 from USB, and formatted it as well as the bigger HDD. It worked very well before Windows got updated.
I'm wondering if the PSU is too weak for the system or something? Voltages are fine, as it's stable by now, but I begin to doubt this 450W PSU is enough to keep it stable. Another curiosity is that the Northbridge temp is at 61ºC, is it too hot?

I've also downloaded and installed all the specific drivers from Gigabyte.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Minimum PSU for that GFX card is 400W so you're pretty close to that. Not sure if PSU issues would cause what you are describing though.

Are there any errors in windows Eventlogs?
Does this weirdness happen in safe Mode with Networking?
Can you try creating a new user and see if the problem persists?
Run MSCONFIG and look what is being loaded at Startup

Q4Rspwn

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

Minimum? That card was originally shipped in a Dell Vostro 400, Core 2 Quad system. That PC had a 350W noname PSU (which failed though). But I am also suspicious, as I've got the Corsair H100i cooling and an i7 for that additional 100W.

Here you have the logs/another thread I've created: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-x64-ultimate-sickly-slow-constant/53f7d902-b1d8-4b77-8fb2-230c72fb60ee

Q4Rspwn

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I see. I'll definitely give the PSU a shot as I've also got a new case by now. I'm also going for a 6870, do you think a Corsair TX650W or 750W will be fine?

Note: The CPU watts (176W) are measured at overclocking (4.3 GHz, stock is 2.8). Max stock TDP is 130W, but well past 100W as you say.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
The PSU requirements for a 6870 are

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended7 (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

So I personally would go for the 750W should you want a bit of room for SLI ... just my choice though

Q4Rspwn

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I see. I didnt even read your reply before I went down to Alina Systems for a Corsair TX850M, so now I have some power to keep it alive for a while ;) I thought exactly the same, 750 (and definitely 850) watts is always better than 650 if I want to keep it for some years, especially as it´s modular. The price difference was about $25 so that was fine.

I´m sorry to say that I can´t reply if it solved the problem by now, because I don´t want to remove the CPU rad, fans and GPU to install it as my new NZXT Phantom expectedly will arrive by tomorrow or at Monday. This is what I´ll try out when it´s here:

- Move all the components to this fulltower case with additional fans. I´ve got a CM Elite 430 ATX case at the moment, which tends to run rarely hot. (systemp is about 45-50ºc at normal usage, NB @ 55-60ºc)

- Check if I've installed the CPU rad fans right!
Corsair's manual recommendation: Fans are supposed to suck cold air into the PC from the top of the case (that's how I did install them)
Sales at the PC store recommendation: Hot air from inside the PC is supposed be blown out from the top of the case

- Install the new PSU

- Install the new RAM (G.Skill 3x4GB) and run a complete memtest on the old ones

- Update the motherboard BIOS (version FB to FH. I missed that when I checked out Gigabyte's drivers!)

- Completely reformat both drives and reinstall a new W7 x64 from bootable USB

- Install the SATA AHCI driver "GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver
(For AHCI / RAID Mode)" in DOS.

- I'll also set the BIOS ICH and GSATA mode to AHCI before reinstalling Windows.

I do not want to reinstall Windows or update the BIOS if the voltages are unstable, so I'll keep the reply 'til all is done. I'll post a reply later. Thanks by now :))

Q4Rspwn

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

So, now I'm done fixing some of the parts. The case didn't arrive today, but I've still been working on solving the problem:

1. Move all the components to this fulltower case with additional fans.
Not yet done, as the case will be here on Monday.

2. Check if I've installed the CPU rad fans right!
Done. As I've also installed more RAM, I had to put one of the fans at the outside of the case, lol.

3. Install the new BIOS, Windows and PSU
Check, but I re-installed BIOS and Windows before swapping out the supply. Firstly, I downloaded the wrong utility to flash the BIOS, which showed up to be maintenance utility for the motherboard. It gave me a RAM corruption message while trying to access DualBios mode in Vista, reboot didn't help. After flashing the BIOS, that message disappeared, so I think I had a faulty BIOS in some way.

Afterwards, I went for a complete format and Windows reinstall. It worked fine, until the first 120 Windows updates was installed, then it Went to be just the same piece of sh*t like before. I got mad, installed the new PSU and threw in another 12GB of RAM, for a total of 24GB. That resulted in absolutely no difference at all. I kept updating Windows as Internet Explorer got stuck, and Windows Update even stopped showing the percentages of the downloaded updates.

I had to make a "hard restart" with the reset button and install the updates, about four at a time, but then it turned out to work much better. I think that the updates had some conflicts with each other as they sucked CPU resources and made the the whole system unstable. Now it works fine and just like it should.

4. Run memtest
Not done yet

5. Update the motherboard BIOS (version FB to FH. I missed that when I checked out Gigabyte's drivers!)
Check

6. Completely reformat both drives and reinstall a new W7 x64 from bootable USB
Check

7. Install the SATA AHCI driver "GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver"
Check

8. I'll also set the BIOS ICH and GSATA mode to AHCI before reinstalling Windows.
Check, all drives are now running in AHCI without any AHCI related issues at all. The new BIOS version also included some AHCI bug fixes.

Thanks a lot!