Win7 SSD MFT Start Cluster issue - file table

dmatos

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Not sure which sub-forum to put this in...

Specs: highly modified Dell XPS 8500 (only Mobo and i5 is stock anymore). PSU is plenty big, 16 gb memory, HD7870 gpu.

I run Win7-64 bit off of an mSATA card (C Drive) on the mobo. I have a Samsung 840 EVO (D Drive) as my gaming/storage drive and an physical harddrive as a download/game install file/backup drive.

I have had this problem a few times before.

Every time I shut down it takes longer and longer. Eventually it hits 90 seconds or so.

The next time I boot up after the super long shutdown, my D Drive SSD isn't detected and Ihave to boot up in safe mode. I run Active Partition Magic, the drive is there, but the Boot Sector Information is messed up.

Specifically: $MFT StartCLuster will have a number like 1000000000000 versus 64287 (made up numbers). I can copy the backup Boot Sector Info the drive keeps and all goes back to normal.

I remember tweaking a ton of stuff when I first got the mSATA and SSD, but the problem surfaced long after that. It almost seems like something related to TRIM (which I don't completely understand) or Intel Rapid Storage.

I'm 99.9% sure there are no viruses.

Any suggestions? My solution has been to not shutdown and use Active Partition Recovery when it doesn't work.

dmatos

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I checked the alignment and it appears to have been done correctly. The partition start offset is 1,048,576.

Thanks for the advice though (and the link, since it may help out others.)