Win7 & Win 10 claim NAS is empty when it isn't

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Seagate GoFlex NAS w/4TB of storage. For some reason both my Win7 and Win10 boxes claim it is empty but my MacPro, Samsung TV and Yamaha stereo clearly show all the files. All the files are also shown using the Seagate dashboard. Could it be caused by Windows insisting the device is a media servers no matter how it's installed? This fudle has only been going on for the past couple months. When I first got it, it showed up on the network just like my two Western Digital NAS boxes. Which is how I got the 2TB of files stored on it.

Solution
I'd stick with the reputable brands for NAS (synology, qnap) or build your own. ubuntu or one of the web based management ones like freenas or turnkey are pretty easy to use. the NAS brands have very low power chips and good reliability records. In my opinion they charge a lot per drive. some of the 2-4 ones are reasonable, 4+ is kinda pricey.one thing to note is none of them handle plex transcoding well compared to building your own $$ wise. once hardware/gpu transcoding is better the weaker ones will be fine.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Funny that it used to work just fine under Win7. I'll try that FTP gag. I looked at the MS link and went to Add Windows Features. SMB 1.0/CIFS is enabled.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I did completely remove the software and mapped drive as well as turning off the unit. When I "reinstalled" the unit and the software, everything showed up again. For a day. The TimeMachine partition appeared but neither the private nor the public partitions showed as having any content. Cuhrazy!
Time to hit NewEgg or Ebay for a two bay NAS.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This gets curiouser and curiouser. I was looking for some files using Ultra File Search Lite. It showed all of the searched file types on the GoFlex. Looks like Microsoft doesn't like Seagate.

I'd stick with the reputable brands for NAS (synology, qnap) or build your own. ubuntu or one of the web based management ones like freenas or turnkey are pretty easy to use. the NAS brands have very low power chips and good reliability records. In my opinion they charge a lot per drive. some of the 2-4 ones are reasonable, 4+ is kinda pricey.one thing to note is none of them handle plex transcoding well compared to building your own $$ wise. once hardware/gpu transcoding is better the weaker ones will be fine.

Solution

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thank you, Failboat. Here's another interesting tidbit. If I right click on the mapped drive and select properties, up pops the normal disk drive properties window. Explorer still shows the drive as empty. Sheesh!

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Solved the problem. There was a setting hidden in the settings that had not been required in prior builds but is now. I had to basically create a second user account in addition to one that already existed. And there was nowhere in the instructions, set up guide or help saying it was needed. Thank heavens for Western Digital.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, it's happening again. Nothing changed on the NAS but Windows is again claiming the drives / folders are empty. Both Win7 and Win10. Entering thru the NAS web page shows everything is still there. Mapping the drive has no effect. Seagate support is non-existant. HDD in unit is less than a year old. What gives?

TRENDING THREADS