[SOLVED] [Win8.1] Very rare boot phenomenon

CodyMondo

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
In the almost 5 years ive had my PC only a handful of times, including today have this very strange thing when i boot up and was wondering what it is or if it had a name. so last night i hit shut down and went to bed. Today when i turned it on my CD drive didn't do the self test spin up and in like 1 second i was at the desktop and EVERYTHING was loaded and ready. every icon in the taskbar was loaded all of my desktop icons were there and i hit chrome, BANG opens just like it had already been open. There was literally NO boot time its just instantly up. this has only happened a handful of times and its always confusing when it happens. i know i didn't hit sleep because the power light wasnt flashing and sleep always bring me to the lock screen. I Also have hibernation off. Anyone have an explanation for that?

Solution
I have to go along and say you hit the sleep button. BTW, there is a difference between sleep and hibernate. Sleep draws a small amount of power to store the state of your computer in RAM, so when awakened it opens very quickly. Hibernate stores the state of your computer on your hard drive, and uses practically no power, so it has to load the data to the RAM, so it takes a little longer to open. The sleep feature will work even if you have hibernate disabled. With my computer, sleep causes the power button to glow yellow while hibernate causes it to blink.

CodyMondo

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
It was in hibernation. Hibernation fully powers off the PC but the exact state is saved on the drive and ready to be pulled back up once you power it on.
Hows it put itself into hibernation when i have it off? and i never remember hibernation being THAT fast on start up. it was literally a second and it was ready. it think it took my monitor longer to turn on lol

CodyMondo

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
When you turned your PC off yesterday, you probably inadvertently hit the “sleep” button instead of “shut down” just underneath.
I stated in the original post I know it wasn't in sleep because the case light wasn't flashing and when I press the power button the CD drive didn't do the self test where it spins up. and when I do put the computer to sleep everytime I wake it up it sends me to the lock screen, as set up by me. This has only happened four or five times in the almost five years I've had this system. It's very convenient when it does happen though. I think idea of it going into hibernation makes the most sense but I'm not sure how it goes into hibernation on its own because I have hibernation disabled. Maybe in the next couple days I'll turn hibernation on and do some tests and report back

I have to go along and say you hit the sleep button. BTW, there is a difference between sleep and hibernate. Sleep draws a small amount of power to store the state of your computer in RAM, so when awakened it opens very quickly. Hibernate stores the state of your computer on your hard drive, and uses practically no power, so it has to load the data to the RAM, so it takes a little longer to open. The sleep feature will work even if you have hibernate disabled. With my computer, sleep causes the power button to glow yellow while hibernate causes it to blink.

Last edited:
Solution