Win8 Sony laptop wont locate or connect to wifi- nothing has fixed it.

shardarnnay

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
It is windows 8 & has been working perfectly for mths, but today it has started playing up. I was able to connect with an ethernet cable, when I disconnected the ethernet cable, the wifi worked for 10-20mins & I thought it had resolved itself. However it then went limited & stopped working again, I used the trouble shooter, but it couldnt locate our wifi (despite sitting only 2m away from router) & said a cable wasnt plugged in properly & to reset router (which is bollocks, as 2 others were actually connected to the wifi & it was working perfectly for them!). It randomly connecting again, then dropped the connection 1-2mins later & hasnt located our wifi, let-a-lone connected since (7hrs now)- sometimes it picks up wifi from 4 houses away, yet not our own 2-3ms away :( I can still connect via ethernet cable cable- but need to access the wifi from the other end of the house & cant. I have tried to diagnose from adapter settings- no change (just the same old 'a cable is broken' rubbish, 'reset & try again'), tried to turn off bluetooth- no change. Turned router off & restarted it- no change... nothing works- at my wits ends here. The laptop is under warranty still (less than a yr old)- should I take it back> (since it is the only one that wont connect) or there something I have missed, that will fix this? Thanks in advance.

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
try a simple reboot of the router (turning it off for 10 seconds then turning it back on or unplugging it for 10 seconds). next reboot your pc (silly i know but steps are key). try to connect. if nothing happens turn your wireless off and then back on and test it. still not working go to your start menu, type cmd in the search bar right click cmd and run as admin. type "ipconfig /flushdns" followed by "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" then test your connection again.

shardarnnay

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

I'm not sure how to turn the wireless on this laptop on & off- there is no wireless icon anywhere & no button that I have found (it was the 1st thing I thought of when a simple diagnose connection & reboot of router didnt work)- the wireless light is on though. Can I still follow your instructions if wireless is on? I have done the "ipconfig /flushdns" already once already, but will try all 3 in the order you have stated & see if that works.

shardarnnay

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
& now it is locating & connecting to our wifi again- I didnt even get to 'do' anything. The upstairs desktop is used for gaming by another family member & when he finished his RPG game, I was able to reboot the router & then troubleshooted connection (as no wifi was showing still), it found our wifi fine, but said it was unsecured & wouldnt connect unless I manually allowed it (problem is our wifi is secured because I set a 'custom' password & ensured it was secured- 3 times! ... anyway), then with-in 20sec's, it connected itself (& said it was secure - again... I hadnt done anything- other than get a pen & paper). So now I'm not sure what is going on- is it my laptop? The router? or is there a virus on the desktop connected to whatever he's playing online (think it's W.O.W).

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
no i dont think its a real issue wit hte router or the upstairs computer, sounds like just a small issue with your laptop. It seems to be working but just make sure, when or if it dissconnects again, go to the wireless icon at the bottom and search for your wifi ssid. when you find it right click on it and go to properties from there check to see what wireless security settings its under and manually put in the password you have for your network as well as make sure you choose the way your router is set up (like wep, or wpa2 tkip, whatever you have set up).