Win98 - DCHP IP but no ping DHCP server

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi

I've been having problems getting an XP/win98 dual boot machine joining
my network wirelessly.

See "Wireless connected - can't ping" on ms.public.win98.networking

I've thought it was perhaps a problem with IRQ conflict so I've removed
all expansion cards including the Wireless network card and now decided
to try and configure the onboard lan. I've a spare router which I'm now
plugging in directly to the lan connection of the machine.

The router is acting as DHCP server.

I'm finding now that the router is assigning an IP address to my machine
but my machine can't ping the DHCP server. It can ping itself both by
"ping localhost" and "ping DHCP-assigned address"

There's nothing in the arp table (... don't know what that tells me, but
I seem to think that when it has been working, there has been an entry)

I've tried re-installing tcp/ip. (I've actually re-installed Win98 about
8 times so far!!)

Any suggestions

Thanks

Simon

cjt

Simon Woods wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been having problems getting an XP/win98 dual boot machine joining
> my network wirelessly.
>
> See "Wireless connected - can't ping" on ms.public.win98.networking
>
> I've thought it was perhaps a problem with IRQ conflict so I've removed
> all expansion cards including the Wireless network card and now decided
> to try and configure the onboard lan. I've a spare router which I'm now
> plugging in directly to the lan connection of the machine.
>
> The router is acting as DHCP server.
>
> I'm finding now that the router is assigning an IP address to my machine

so obviously those two are talking (which means the rudiments of
networking are installed and functional)

of course, if all that's connected to the wired router is this one
machine, you're not going to pass much data through it <g>

> but my machine can't ping the DHCP server.

some routers (optionally) won't respond to pings for security reasons,
so that in itself isn't necessarily a problem -- if you're getting an
address from it, you must have a connection

but many routers have setup screens accessible via a browser; you might
explore those

It can ping itself both by
> "ping localhost" and "ping DHCP-assigned address"

no problem there

> There's nothing in the arp table (... don't know what that tells me, but
> I seem to think that when it has been working, there has been an entry)

it sounds like your wireless connection isn't being established

but you probably knew that

have you installed the drivers for the wireless card, etc.?

are you sure the wireless stuff works?

when you go into My Computer -> Control Panel -> Network, is your
wireless card there, and bound to TCP/IP?

are there any status lights on the wireless equipment, and what do
they tell you?

> I've tried re-installing tcp/ip. (I've actually re-installed Win98 about
> 8 times so far!!)

then it's time to try something different

I don't think the problem is with basic TCP/IP and Win98 networking --
that the machine will talk to the router demonstrates those are working

> Any suggestions

sorry, I don't do wireless

my comments have addressed the networking bits that have little/nothing
to do with wireless, but about which you seemed to be concerned

> Thanks
>
> Simon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Thanks CJT - in line

CJT wrote:
> Simon Woods wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been having problems getting an XP/win98 dual boot machine
>> joining my network wirelessly.
>>
>> See "Wireless connected - can't ping" on ms.public.win98.networking
>>
>> I've thought it was perhaps a problem with IRQ conflict so I've
>> removed all expansion cards including the Wireless network card and
>> now decided to try and configure the onboard lan. I've a spare router
>> which I'm now plugging in directly to the lan connection of the machine.
>>
>> The router is acting as DHCP server.
>>
>> I'm finding now that the router is assigning an IP address to my machine
>

> so obviously those two are talking (which means the rudiments of
> networking are installed and functional)
>
> of course, if all that's connected to the wired router is this one
> machine, you're not going to pass much data through it <g>
>
>> but my machine can't ping the DHCP server.
>

> some routers (optionally) won't respond to pings for security reasons,
> so that in itself isn't necessarily a problem -- if you're getting an
> address from it, you must have a connection
>
> but many routers have setup screens accessible via a browser; you might
> explore those

I've tried the admin screen from IE but it can't find it - which seems
to suggest one-way traffic --- dhcp-server => PC.

> It can ping itself both by
>
>> "ping localhost" and "ping DHCP-assigned address"
>>
> no problem there
>
>> There's nothing in the arp table (... don't know what that tells me,
>> but I seem to think that when it has been working, there has been an
>> entry)
>>

> it sounds like your wireless connection isn't being established
>
> but you probably knew that
>
> have you installed the drivers for the wireless card, etc.?
>
> are you sure the wireless stuff works?
>
> when you go into My Computer -> Control Panel -> Network, is your
> wireless card there, and bound to TCP/IP?
>
> are there any status lights on the wireless equipment, and what do
> they tell you?

Yes ... yes ... yes ... default gateway set DNS stuff set ... shimmering
lights green on both the router and NIC when booting up then solid green.

This used to work. I've had it working both with Win98 and WinXP
wirelessly previously on this same machine --- but now it just 'won't take'!

>> I've tried re-installing tcp/ip. (I've actually re-installed Win98
>> about 8 times so far!!)
>

> then it's time to try something different
>
> I don't think the problem is with basic TCP/IP and Win98 networking --
> that the machine will talk to the router demonstrates those are working

I was concerned because of multiple devices sharing the same IRQ, so
I've pulled things back to a bare minimum ... taken out all expansion
cards, disabled in BIOS all devices which are sharing the IRQ which the
card will use --- so I've got a pretty basic setup. I've tried disabling
IRQ steering but no good

I've also tried wireless and wired connections. The wired connection
gives a DHCP-originated ip address which I don't get wirelessly, but
still can't ping the router nor open it's admin screen.

I'm beginning to think it must be a hardware problem, but the thing is
that I've used the on-board lan connection for wired and an expansion
card for wireless onto 2 different routers and the results are the same
.... it don't work (other than for wired I get a DHCP-originated ip
address!) which makes me think it's something basic I'm missing.

I've other win98 machines on my wireless network and they work fine!

.... and it used to work !!

Thanks again for your help

Simon

cjt

Simon Woods wrote:
> [...]
> I've pulled things back to a bare minimum ... taken out all expansion
> cards, disabled in BIOS all devices which are sharing the IRQ which the
> card will use --- so I've got a pretty basic setup. I've tried disabling
> IRQ steering but no good
>
> I've also tried wireless and wired connections. The wired connection
> gives a DHCP-originated ip address which I don't get wirelessly, but
> still can't ping the router nor open it's admin screen.
>
> I'm beginning to think it must be a hardware problem, but the thing is
> that I've used the on-board lan connection for wired and an expansion
> card for wireless onto 2 different routers and the results are the same
> ... it don't work (other than for wired I get a DHCP-originated ip
> address!) which makes me think it's something basic I'm missing.
>
> I've other win98 machines on my wireless network and they work fine!

Although I don't profess to know anything about wireless, the one
bit that is present with most wireless devices that isn't present
with most wired connections is an extra layer of security -- e.g.
password protection -- since otherwise it would be so easy to tap
in uninvited. Could that be the source of the problem?