Win98SE and WinME

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi

I am partitioning my harddrive into 2. One of them, I am going to put win98se in it. And I want to part winME in the other partition. How do I do that, I installed win98se already, And I am trying to install winME from win98se, but winME will automatically try to upgrade win98se, or should I go to dos and install it from dos. How and what should I do.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
From what I know, you won't be able to do that. However, you can have a setup like Win98SE + Win2000 or WinME + Win2000. Win98SE and WinME are both based on the Win9x engine, while Win2000 is based on the NT engine.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

bighead111

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Hiya,

You could do that if you don't mind the hassles. Before installing winME, you need to do two things: one rename the win.com, so the WinME won't see this file and allow you to install it. Second, you have to modify the msdos.sys which can be a little risky if you are not very familiar with it. Well it always trial and error thing. I put two win98 in one hdd and they work fine!

manish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One solution can be to use any free Boot Manager software (Ranish Partition Manager includes one), and create another partition. Make this new partition bootable with Win98se and now upgrade it with Windows ME. Keep a Boot-Manager rescue disk handy because Windows ME will try to overwrite the MBR. Now re-install the Boot Manager and use it to boot into partitions everytime.

System Commander 2000 is the best available software for this purpose.

Manish
http://manishmalik.cjb.net - just another 1-page site.

G

Why bother, WindowsME sucks the big one. This OS update was made for the user who does not understand computers, or how to fix things themselves, hence the System Repair/Recovery thing. Facts: WinME uses more memory, is slower, boots are longer usually, eliminates support for more legacy devices, drops DOS completely as a boot option, only command prompt, has a ton of nice useless features, and above all, it is an insult to the user. Microsoft made an OS programmed for the lowest common denominator, Ignorant People! Thier are absolutely no benefits to the user if you know how to install drivers, fixes, patches, etc... within Win98 correctoly. So, to the first guy, if you are going to a dual boot system, forget WinME and dual boot to Win98/Win2k.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to use Win98 and WinMe? They are almost identical, WinMe is just a more bloated version of Win98. I do agree with the other posts here; I don't think you can easily setup a dual boot with those two OS. They aren't designed for coexistance with other OS like Linux and Win2K are.

TRENDING THREADS