[SOLVED] WIN98SE machine won't boot with a Voodoo3 3000

Jun 3, 2021
I came to seek advice from any 90s computer enthusiasts that may be here. A few months ago I cleaned up and started using a computer from the late 90s (for old Windows and DOS games). Recently, I tried to install a Voodoo 3 3000 from eBay so I could play games like Half-Life and Unreal. When I go to boot into windows it either hangs at the windows 98 screen or tells me it restored system files and is rebooting (whereupon it re-enters the loop). The mobo is using the newest BIOS I could find. It worked fine with the GPU it had, but it's a pretty crappy one and I need more power to play 3D accelerated games. I did try a Pine SiS card I found for cheap, but it had similar problems. I also tried booting into safe mode and it does the same thing as booting Windows normally. I don't think it's a driver issue, because booting into safe mode doesn't help. The machine boots just fine with the original GPU in there. What can I do to remedy this issue?

The Specs:
CPU: AMD K6-2 (clocked at 500 Mhz I believe)
GPU: Graphics Blaster Exxtreme CT6610 trying to move over to a PCI VooDoo 3 3000
Motherboard: First International Computer VA-503+ Socket Super 7

P.S.: I can access command prompt from outside of Windows, I'm assuming this would help

Solution
If it's not drivers it could be lack of power, when getting into windows the GPU will start using more power for the higher resolution and amount of colors.
It could be a bum power supply or the mobo not delivering enough power over PCI.
I would start with looking up the original manual of the GPU and following the installation guide to the letter.
This page has the install CD in case you need it, and also tons of info and probably more people that have knowledge of old systems than you will ever find here.
http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=12

Have you tried running the card in DOS?!
If it's not drivers it could be lack of power, when getting into windows the GPU will start using more power for the higher resolution and amount of colors.
It could be a bum power supply or the mobo not delivering enough power over PCI.
I would start with looking up the original manual of the GPU and following the installation guide to the letter.
This page has the install CD in case you need it, and also tons of info and probably more people that have knowledge of old systems than you will ever find here.

Solution
Jun 3, 2021

Funnily enough, I actually cross-posted this on Vogons and somebody there said that my specific mobo has power problems for the AGP slot (I was wrong about what slot it went in by the way). Although that doesn't explain why the Pine SiS card didn't work. Hmmmm...

TRENDING THREADS