Winamp May Live On Thanks to New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Most of us were hoping that AOL release it as open source so it can be further developed to work on all platforms. Ah well. Least it's still alive...hopefully not on life support.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Good news.

I still use my Winamp everyday.

One of my customers was very surprised to see it, "Is that still going?" Yep, I told him. Alive and well.

Mostly I use it for FLAC. Tend to use VLC for videos, so I can block Winamp from web access, as I don't like it downloading information etc.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I have been using Winamp for as long as I can remember, first media player I really got attached to. It would be sad to see the player disappear

j4ckl3

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Oddly enough, I don't listen to music. I am more the audiobook kind of guy. One thing that I think this app still has going for it is a nice add as a shoutcast client. I hope it keeps going as is.

Tassadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
I stopped using Winamp several years ago. AIMP3 is so much better in all of the features that it has. Winamp has failed me, even the search function would freeze the player for several seconds if a large playlist is loaded. Screw that, AIMP FTW!

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Since i switched to foobar2000 i've never looked back. Still, i used Winamp a lot when i started with this newfangled "internet" thing and was amazed by the amount of skins, so i hope it keeps whipping the llama's ass somewhere :)

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Still use Winamp as well. When you don't want a bunch of frills and just went to get your music on, then whip the llama's ass! :D It hasn't given me any issues at all.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I stopped using Winamp when they started adding all of the bloat (somewhere in the 2.x era). I still use the pre-bloat release every once in a while. Is the latest version any good? I've been using Grooveshark for the most part over the past couple of years.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

i have a friend that did that, ripping songs that were recorded in 128kbps to 320kbps. Not only was there any difference, the size of the file was tripled.

Songs, streams, whatever. Original content needs to be recorded originally at 320kbps otherwise wasting bandwidth for nothing.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
never cared for winamp... i just dont like extra installations on my pc. i know i will catch a lot of flames for sayin that i rather use windows media player instead.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
running winamp since 2001. Thanks for m3u, pls etc. Thanks for hours of internet radio, for hours of album listening, thanks for global hotkeys, thanks for everything winamp. I'll keep you as long as i can use windows and listen to music.

Status
Not open for further replies.