[SOLVED] Windforce GTX 970 - No Signal, POST and onboard GPU works perfect.

Jfirstfx

Reputable
Jun 6, 2017
So i stored my PC for almost 2 years as i had no room for it. I unpacked this past weekend, cleaned all the parts and tried to boot up. As i stated no signal from GPU or onboard graphics when GPU is installed. The system starts up, Post and sounds like it fully boots, but no signal either from onboard gpu or GPU Card.
If i remove the GPU, onboard graphics work fine, system boots up normal.
Please help i don't have another MOBO to test the card on and have no clue what to do.

I have already tried these steps.
1.) removed and re-seated components ( ram, and card)
2.) uninstalled old Card drivers and updated onboard graphic drivers.
3.) reset bios to default.
4.) Tried other ports, cables and monitor.

Specs:
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970
Mobo: MSI Z77A-G41
RAM: G.Skill Trident DDR3 1600 CL7
PSU: Thermaltake TR-2 600W
PC: i5 intel
Operating Sys: Win 8

Last edited:
Solution
That isn't PSU, that's an expensive paper weight. You should look into investing into a reliably built PSU that can deliver at least 550W of power to the entire system. If the system can't output display with a discrete, the issue is power.

The likely reason you don't see anything in spite of it seeming like the system has booted up, is due to the fact that the discrete GPU's pins are triggering the onboard to shut off(most likely) and the power to your GPU isn't enough hence no signal. Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers while the discrete isn't dropped into the system?

Lutfij

Titan
That isn't PSU, that's an expensive paper weight. You should look into investing into a reliably built PSU that can deliver at least 550W of power to the entire system. If the system can't output display with a discrete, the issue is power.

The likely reason you don't see anything in spite of it seeming like the system has booted up, is due to the fact that the discrete GPU's pins are triggering the onboard to shut off(most likely) and the power to your GPU isn't enough hence no signal. Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers while the discrete isn't dropped into the system?

Reactions: Jfirstfx
Solution

Jfirstfx

Reputable
Jun 6, 2017
the power to your GPU isn't enough hence no signal. Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers while the discrete isn't dropped into the system?

I did not use DDU, but will try that when i get out of work. I get that PSU is not the greatest, but the system used to run perfect before i stored it. i actually used too use it to do some small 3d rendering and video editing with lite gaming. i dont understand how it ran fine and now its not enough power? i should even be coming close to the power hitting limits. The system should only be drawing something like 480 watts?