Windolene as substitute for alcohol

Someone suggested that I use a 5% solution of isopropyl alcohol
introduced into my printing ink (distilled water + dye) as a way of
preventing clogging of inkjets.
I don't have any alcohol, but I do have the clear Windolene. I was
wondering if a 5% solution of this intoduced would help prevent
clogging of the jets. Not sure how it would effect the drying
properties though.

Thanks

You don't mention which printer or which inks you are using other than
they are dye colorant. Epson printers are pretty forgiving about ink
formulation. Thermal inkjet printers will be more exacting in the
formulas they need to work.

Art

species 8350 wrote:

> Someone suggested that I use a 5% solution of isopropyl alcohol
> introduced into my printing ink (distilled water + dye) as a way of
> preventing clogging of inkjets.
> I don't have any alcohol, but I do have the clear Windolene. I was
> wondering if a 5% solution of this intoduced would help prevent
> clogging of the jets. Not sure how it would effect the drying
> properties though.
>
> Thanks

Thanks for replying

Printer Canon BJ200

Cart: Remanufactured BC-02
(ink formulation unknown)

BURT

There is a lot of interest and information about print head cleaning for
Canon printers on
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ I didn't see anything there about adding
anything to the inks. You can also follow the link on top of the
nifty-stuff home page to Neil Slade's web site and read all of his material,
including his advice on avoiding or clearing head clogs. Arthur Entlich is
the most knowledgeable person on this NG regarding this problem. Although
his main area of expertise is with Epson printers, his advice also applies
to other printers as well. He is very careful to point out that different
ink formulations require different solutions to this problem. The best
prevention, of course, is to print frequently to avoid having ink dry in the
printhead. If you use aftermarket inks (as I do) it is important to use
inks that others have been successful with and can recommend. I have had no
problems with MIS inks for refilling and others have reported using
Formulabs inks in prefilled carts from Alotofthings or Formulabs bulk ink
for refilling - also from Alotofthings. Adding anything to the inks you are
using may alter the viscosity, possibly the pH, and slightly dilute the
color intensity. Much as the ink just looks like colored water, all of
these properties determine the success or failure of how it functions in
your printer.

Burt wrote:

> There is a lot of interest and information about print head cleaning for
> Canon printers on
> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ I didn't see anything there about adding
> anything to the inks. You can also follow the link on top of the
> nifty-stuff home page to Neil Slade's web site and read all of his material,
> including his advice on avoiding or clearing head clogs. Arthur Entlich is
> the most knowledgeable person on this NG regarding this problem. Although
> his main area of expertise is with Epson printers, his advice also applies
> to other printers as well. He is very careful to point out that different
> ink formulations require different solutions to this problem. The best
> prevention, of course, is to print frequently to avoid having ink dry in the
> printhead. If you use aftermarket inks (as I do) it is important to use
> inks that others have been successful with and can recommend. I have had no
> problems with MIS inks for refilling and others have reported using
> Formulabs inks in prefilled carts from Alotofthings or Formulabs bulk ink
> for refilling - also from Alotofthings. Adding anything to the inks you are
> using may alter the viscosity, possibly the pH, and slightly dilute the
> color intensity. Much as the ink just looks like colored water, all of
> these properties determine the success or failure of how it functions in
> your printer.
>

> "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks for replying
>>
>>Printer Canon BJ200
>>
>>Cart: Remanufactured BC-02
>>(ink formulation unknown)

Sorry Burt, but again I'm wrong.
I'm always wrong especially when I'm drunk and posting false information
about ink and printers that I know absolutely nothing about and probably
never will!
How weird is that huh? Well it's normal for me.
But that's what we drunk morons do best. :)
One other thing that I really like to do. When I stick my brown tongue
up Frankie Crankie's Ass I never, ever wash it! Can you believe it?
Hummm that's delicious!!!
Oh I know, that probably makes some of you normal people really sick but
not me!
Hell I'm already a complete hopeless sicko!
As you all can readily tell.

measekit

Neil Slade's web site is an eye opening site. I followed Neil's compressed
air blowing method on an old s820 printer. The printer had some banding to
begin with. After blowing compressed air to the printhead it was clogged
completely.

Later, a conventional simple water bath (soaking) unclogged it with no difficulty.
The compressed air spray method is a myth that I will never use again.

Stevelee wrote:

> Neil Slade's web site is an eye opening site. I followed Neil's compressed
> air blowing method on an old s820 printer. The printer had some banding to
> begin with. After blowing compressed air to the printhead it was clogged
> completely.
>
> Later, a conventional simple water bath (soaking) unclogged it with no
> difficulty.
> The compressed air spray method is a myth that I will never use again.
>

> Burt wrote:
>
>> There is a lot of interest and information about print head cleaning
>> for Canon printers on
>> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ I didn't see anything there about
>> adding anything to the inks. You can also follow the link on top of
>> the nifty-stuff home page to Neil Slade's web site and read all of his
>> material, including his advice on avoiding or clearing head clogs.

Sorry Stevelee, but again I'm wrong.
I'm always wrong especially when I'm drunk and posting false information
about ink and printers that I know absolutely nothing about and probably
never will!
How weird is that huh? Well it's normal for me.
But that's what we drunk morons do best. :)
One other thing that I really like to do. When I stick my brown tongue
up Frankie Crankie's Ass I never, ever wash it! Can you believe it?
Hummm that's delicious!!!
Oh I know, that probably makes some of you normal people really sick but
not me!
Hell I'm already a complete hopeless sicko!
As you all can readily tell.

measekit

BURT

The nifty stuff site covers several variations of the water bath method. I
haven't had a clog yet in almost a year of printing on an i960 and am using
MIS bulk inks. Good to know about the compressed air problem you
encountered. Posts like yours are important information for others on this
NG. Anyone using the water bath technique should keep it extremely shallow
as getting the electrical contacts wet could damage the printhead. I have
read that using warm water works best, and I have also seen posts advising
adding some alcohol to the water bath.

Burt wrote:

>There is a lot of interest and information about print head cleaning for
>Canon printers on
>http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ I didn't see anything there about adding
>anything to the inks. You can also follow the link on top of the
>nifty-stuff home page to Neil Slade's web site and read all of his material,
>including his advice on avoiding or clearing head clogs. Arthur Entlich is
>the most knowledgeable person on this NG regarding this problem. Although
>his main area of expertise is with Epson printers, his advice also applies
>to other printers as well. He is very careful to point out that different
>ink formulations require different solutions to this problem. The best
>prevention, of course, is to print frequently to avoid having ink dry in the
>printhead. If you use aftermarket inks (as I do) it is important to use
>inks that others have been successful with and can recommend. I have had no
>problems with MIS inks for refilling and others have reported using
>Formulabs inks in prefilled carts from loto-things

That is an apparent outright lie. As of last week there is nothing on
their site to indicate what is in their prefilled carts. They will not
tell you. You have had one or two (Burtie being one) that claim to have
not problems with MIS UNBRANDED Generic ink and a few people who claim
to use Formulabs (some do not know what they use) and have no problem.
That is a few people from 100's who buy ink. You do not hear from most
of the many thousands who use OEM ink or from the many 1000 who use OEM
ink after having problems with aftermarket unbranded generic noname ink.

And if these vendors get a better deal from another supplier you may be
getting the something else from the same vendor who will claim they have
been tested and are comprable.

Burtie Furtie is a snake who thinks he is a know it all but really does
not know more than the rest of us.

> or Formulabs bulk ink
>for refilling - also from . Adding anything to the inks you are
>using may alter the viscosity, possibly the pH, and slightly dilute the
>color intensity. Much as the ink just looks like colored water, all of
>these properties determine the success or failure of how it functions in
>your printer.
>

>"species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in message
>

>>Thanks for replying
>>
>>Printer Canon BJ200
>>
>>Cart: Remanufactured BC-02
>>(ink formulation unknown)

Did Burtie Furtie's God give you wrong info?

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

> Burt wrote:

(snip)
I have had no
>>problems with MIS inks for refilling and others have reported using
>>Formulabs inks in prefilled carts from loto-things
>>

> That is an apparent outright lie.

Not a lie. Here we go again with Measekite, the person who has never used
aftermarket inks claiming to be the expert and trying to persuade others not
to use anything but OEM inks. I have contacted several vendors and been
assured that Formulabs inks are in certain of their prefilled carts.
Formulabs ink is in cartridges sold by Alotofthings (their Arrow carts, not
Rainbow), Weink (carts that have the CRU id in their product listings), and,
I have been told, Wiredbeans carts which are available on ebay. You can
contact each of them to verify that their cartridges are filled with
Formulabs inks before purchasing. I have not used these prefilled carts so
I can not personally comment on how they work. Ron Cohen, who has posted
information on this NG has used the Alotofthings prefilled carts
successfully and also refills them with Formulabs inks purchased from
Alotofthings.

BTW, I noticed that Measekite changed the name of Alotofthings in my
tell him that he was making libelous statements about vendors and that there
may be repercussions. Nonetheless, he can't resist changing their name to
something more innocuous than his previous crude name calling. Now I guess
we have to work on him for calling me a liar and a snake. Absolutely a lie
by Measekite.

As of last week there is nothing on
> their site to indicate what is in their prefilled carts. They will not
> tell you. You have had one or two (Burtie being one) that claim to have
> not problems with MIS UNBRANDED Generic ink

MIS is not generic. Generic inks are sold as suitable for many different
manufacturers' printers. The MIS ink I use is formulated specifically for
Canon printers. It is also not unbranded. It is MIS. They are not the
manufacturer, but they sell it as their brand. Just as Canon does not
manufacture their own ink but sells it as their brand. Measekite splits
hairs when differentiated between brands and formulaters of products.

>and a few people who claim to use Formulabs (some do not know what they
>use)

They absolutely know what they use. Alotofthings states that the bulk ink
that they sell is Formulabs.

and have no problem.
> That is a few people from 100's who buy ink. You do not hear from most of
> the many thousands who use OEM ink or from the many 1000 who use OEM ink
> after having problems with aftermarket unbranded generic noname ink.

We see many postings from people who have head clogs or other ink feed
problems with OEM and non-OEM inks. This is old stuff on this NG and
Measekite keeps it front and center, ad nauseum.
(snip)