xxm4ch1nexx

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Hello ive recently built my first computer. I have had loads of different problems but this one in particular is driving me mad!
The hdd light wont stop constantly blinking. Ive tried all recommended solutions like turning of indexing and superfetch. Should i just disconnect the hdd light?

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
whats wrong with a small led light..

when OS make read/write operations , it make led to glow...
if you don't need then you can disconnect it, it wont be a issue..
its just for our notification of disk usage ..

sparteca

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
disconnect if that pleases you. but your system is not stable. this hapens mostly with people using vista because their system is small in terms of processor, RAM and graphics. OR when you know your system is high tech, then its somthng in the background like virus utilising files inside.

personally as per experience with xp and vista:

for vista (except basic) i suggest:
anythng powerful after P4, lets say Dual, duo, quads
2GB RAM and above
256mb graphics and above
SATA or IDE makes not much diff in terms of what we can use. we can hardly use full capacity of SATA, go for sata if you can.

for xp:
P4 and above
512MB RAM
128MB graphix
SATA or IDE anythng.

xxm4ch1nexx

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for the replies
My system
windows 7 home premium
Athlon 2 x4 630 2.8 ghz
4 gb corsair gaming ram
hitachi 160gb hdd sata
xfx ATI HD4650 graphics card
corsair hx750 psu

i dont think my system specs has anything to do with it and Im quite sure i have no viruses but it seems wierd that the light constantly blinks and can also hear the hdd spinning. I have a vista laptop and a xp desktop with no such issues. Ive had my system running for 4 days straight and its been doing it the whole time. I wanted a moderate HTPC/gaming rig so there will be long periods when the pc is idle, my main concern is that my HDD will wear out more quickly and the constant blinking of the hdd light is driving me insane!!!!

It's normal for the OS to accessing the drive frequently, and since the light goes on each time the drive is accessed then you're going to see it blinking pretty much all the time the system is turned on.

If it really bothers you then tape a piece of paper that matches your case cover over it.