Question Window install stuck at disk check Stage 1

Feb 11, 2021
Hello everyone,
I really need help here.
After installed clean and new Window 10 from USB boot, the installer went smooth and pc reboot.
However, upon reboot, pc got into disk checking "Fixing \(F:\) Stage 1: 14% ..." for 3 hour already.
Tried install again, still same result.

Please does anyone know what is happening?

(Updated) Specs:
CPU: i7 8700
RAM: 24Gb RAM
GPU: 1060 6Gb
Storage:
BRAND NEW installed (as tagged) 2x 500Gb Kingston NVMe SSD
1x 256Gb Patriot E:\ SATA SSD (run programs)
1x 120Gb Kingston C:\ SATA SSD (old Window, also can't boot can't repair)
1x 1TB Toshiba B:\ HDD (data)

No other devices connected except monitor, lan, mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021
Please list system components, including all drives currently connected to the system.

It sounds like you have a disk error (or disk going bad). Is the percentage increasing at all? What drive are you installing Windows on?
Hello alceryes, I updated the thread. Is that good enough for you?
And no the percentage is staying the same.

Hello alceryes, I updated the thread. Is that good enough for you?
And no the percentage is staying the same.
What physical drive is the F: drive? It sounds like that drive may be failing.
Were your other drives just data drives or did you have programs installed on them? Do you have a good backup of important data?

Try to figure out which physical drive it's talking about and disconnect that drive for the Windows install.

Is the drive to which you are installing Windows brand new?

If not new, what operating system was on it previously, if any?

How did you make or acquire the installer? Directly from Microsoft using their Media Creation Tool? Or something else?

Do you specifically recall deleting all pre-existing partitions during the early stages of the install?

Feb 11, 2021
What physical drive is the F: drive? It sounds like that drive may be failing.
The funny point is, there's no F: drive. I think I will update the thread with drive letter name one more time.

Were your other drives just data drives or did you have programs installed on them? Do you have a good backup of important data?
2 NVMe are brand new.
2 SSD are Windows and other programs.

All drive's data are important (not critical but I prefer not to lose them). And also does not have any backup (my big big bad)

Try to figure out which physical drive it's talking about and disconnect that drive for the Windows install.
So .. unplug all?

Feb 11, 2021
Is the drive to which you are installing Windows brand new?

If not new, what operating system was on it previously, if any?
Drive are brand new NVMe SSD, sorry for missing info.

How did you make or acquire the installer? Directly from Microsoft using their Media Creation Tool? Or something else?
Using Media Creation tool, targeting a USB 32Gb.

Do you specifically recall deleting all pre-existing partitions during the early stages of the install?
Drive are brand new, so it's ~470Gb of unallocated.
First install, target the drive, error: installer cannot find the drive (I don't remember exactly)
Retry, doing Youtube guide, format, delete and create new the 100Mb System and 465Gb Primary.
Installer run smooth, copy files and reboot and BOOM error above.

Retry, doing Youtube guide, format, delete and create new the 100Mb System and 465Gb Primary.
Installer run smooth, copy files and reboot and BOOM error above.
Unplug all other drives.
You don't need to create any partitions yourself. Delete ALL partitions on the drive. When you select the drive for install Windows will create all the necessary partitions.

When it's about to reboot for the first time (after the initial install) remember to remove the USB installer so it doesn't try to boot from it again.

Reactions: huynhat
Feb 11, 2021
Are you sure you are booting from the Media Creation Tool installer?

Presumably by accessing a boot menu.

Rather than from your existing C drive. If your C drive is disconnected, that can't happen.
I'm sure. I booted using the BIOS's boot menu, targeting the USB drive.

Feb 11, 2021
Unplug all other drives.
You don't need to create any partitions yourself. Delete ALL partitions on the drive. When you select the drive for install Windows will create all the necessary partitions.

When it's about to reboot for the first time (after the initial install) remember to remove the USB installer so it doesn't try to boot from it again.
Unplug ALL except the one you are trying to install to.

Windows doesn't need to know those other drives exist.

If you don't, you are asking for a headache.
I will!

Get Windows activated ASAP.

Confirm you have a good and working Internet connection.

I'd probably not reconnect those other drives temporarily and instead concentrate on this new Window installation on this new drive.

Have you downloaded the proper Intel Chipset driver from Intel?

I don't think it is an absolute necessity nowadays, but its a good idea.

Check Disk Management to confirm your partition layout is as expected. You may see 3 or 4 partitions.

Look at Device Manager for any exclamation points.

Feb 11, 2021
Dear @alceryes my Window has fully installed and fully drivers.
However, I will postpone re-connect drives, as @Lafong suggest to do this.
Pic of Disk Management & Device Manager (sorry for potato phone camera ._.)

Pic of Window activation and Internet go brrr (sorry for mashed-potato phone camera TT_TT)

Have you downloaded the proper Intel Chipset driver from Intel?
err ... what? This?
Pic of drivers

Look at Device Manager for any exclamation points.
lmao what? What is exclamation points?

The pic of Disk Management looks fine for Disk 0. I assume Disk 1 is an empty data drive. You can format Disk 1 right there in Disk Management if you want to know. Or wait. Whatever.

Have you confirmed you are properly activated? Type "activation" into a search box.

The Intel chipset driver is typically downloaded directly from Intel and should be among the very first things you add to your installation after a base Windows install. Go to Intel web site, enter your exact CPU in a search box and fish. It may be referred to as an "INF" file or "chipset driver". I'll take a look for you if your CPU is mentioned above.

Exclamation points are yellow icons with exclamation point as shown when you first open Device Manager. In plain sight. If you see any, it isn't critical just yet, but you probably want to tend to them over the next few days, particularly if something doesn't work as expected.

I fished around for i7-8700 downloads at Intel and found only the following. 2 things for graphics and a couple of other things you shouldn't need.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...essor-12m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz/downloads.html

I wouldn't get excited about the chipset driver at this point. Maybe Windows supplies all that's needed or maybe someone else can comment.

I have a CPU a couple of generations older than yours and did use the chipset driver on my install, but as I said I don't think it's a necessity.

Get lined out on activation, proper basic functionality...boot OK repeatedly, no obvious issues, seems as fast as you'd expect, etc.

Think about Windows Update. You can delay it for I think 35 days if you want. Otherwise, if you even look at Update, I think it's going to start downloading a bunch of stuff that may be a distraction for you at this point. So maybe check it tomorrow?

Got Windows antivirus going?

Browser up and running OK? Bookmarks gone forever or not saved?

Email rocking?

Run a benchmark or 2 on the new drive to be sure it's as hoped for?

Maybe then OK to connect a drive. One at a time as Alceryes suggested.

Feb 11, 2021
That's fine - totally up to you.
But I DO respect your suggestion. 👏 Therefore require my proper response.

Looks like you left a second Kingston drive installed (or did you attach it afterwards?)
I left the 2nd attached.
Before it was a clustered mess of drives and partitions. Now think of it, no wonder Window could not targeting the correct new nvme drive. Even when it did, Window probably think one of those mess are corrupted and tried to repair something.

Now back to remove the 2nd drive, require me to take out the graphic card before I can access the drive. Which is too labor and time consuming. (compare to I merely have to press a latch to disconnect those SATA cables)

So I took the risk :) Beside it's quite hard to do wrong with 2 unallocated drive.
Pic of when choose drive to install.