[SOLVED] Window never boots on first attempt and will freeze sometimes

Jul 10, 2020
Hi all,

I'm having a very strange issue with a new build I just completed. I'm not sure why it's happening but Windows never boots properly on the first time I open my computer. It would eventually freeze or my monitor would show no signal. At this point, I would have to force shut down my computer and restart it where it may reoccur but when given the option of windows not starting up properly and clicking on Continue to Windows 10 option, it finally works.

Sometimes it would get to the user screen but upon trying to type my password it would freeze. Similarly, if I just log in and open, say, Google Chrome, it would freeze as well. Sometimes it would freeze after an hour of using it. Not sure what's causing the problem.

My build:
AMD Radeon 5600 XT
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ASROCK B450 Pro4
G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
Cooler Master gx750w

I've tried reinstalling windows as well as my Radeon Software (GPU Driver). I can't tell if it's the Radeon software that's causing the issue since after running the AMD cleaning utility, I'm able to boot windows properly... I hope not haha.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the response. This might be a noobie question but which version should I be downloading?

It actually seems to freeze every now and then too so it's not just during startup. Sometimes it would get to the user screen but upon trying to type my password it would freeze. Similarly, if I just log in and open, say, Google Chrome, it would freeze as well. I've turned off Fast Startup on Windows as I've heard that it caused issues for others but no luck. I'll update the question with this info as well.

Your CPU is a Matisse. You can upgrade to version 4.20, but 1st you need to do this -
Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.

Every bios...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jul 10, 2020
Thanks for the response. This might be a noobie question but which version should I be downloading?

It actually seems to freeze every now and then too so it's not just during startup. Sometimes it would get to the user screen but upon trying to type my password it would freeze. Similarly, if I just log in and open, say, Google Chrome, it would freeze as well. I've turned off Fast Startup on Windows as I've heard that it caused issues for others but no luck. I'll update the question with this info as well.

gdds_01

Reputable
May 5, 2020
How are the memory sticks running? Is the XMP profile enabled?

I had some trouble trying to figure out why my PC was locking up randomly, and it turned out to be the XMP profile.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Your CPU is a Matisse. You can upgrade to version 4.20, but 1st you need to do this -
Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.

Every bios since 3.50 only applies to your CPU's family - ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

Solution