[SOLVED] Window Positions Change When In/Out of Fullscreen Game

My Google-fu isn't working:

I have 2 monitors. I keep Discord and sometimes an internet browser window open on my secondary monitor most of the time. I game on the primary.

I can arrange the windows on my secondary monitor how I like beforehand. Then when I open (or alt-tab...*) into a fullscreen game, the position of the windows on my secondary monitor change. Is there a way to disable this behavior?

Alt-tabbing in/out of a game does the same thing, it happens when the fullscreen game is the "active" window. (although I'm having issues with alt-tab freezing my game(s) after 1-4 occurrences which requires me to close the game and re-launch, which is SUPER annoying.

Solution
When you boot the game what resolution are you using?
Are you running your game in full screen or windowed mode?

Sometimes, depending on the game it can force your resolution to change. Try checking game settings. I find that running games in Fullscreen windowed mode alleviates this issue a good bit of the time

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
When you boot the game what resolution are you using?
Are you running your game in full screen or windowed mode?

Sometimes, depending on the game it can force your resolution to change. Try checking game settings. I find that running games in Fullscreen windowed mode alleviates this issue a good bit of the time

Solution
Ah, I've noticed that sometimes when I turn off my main [1440p] monitor while in a game, the game will change their resolution to the secondary monitor's 1080p when the game moves over to the remaining 1080p secondary monitor. I've been having issues with my main monitor, so that's certainly a possibility that the game(s) are 1080p right now. It hadn't crossed my mind that this could correlate to the window orientation issue. I'll check ASAP. Gonna feel real silly [but also glad] if that's all this was.

Last edited: