window screen size

Hello, today at my mother in law's I noticed
something I've never seen before that is
obviously tied to something that got onto her
machine from the net. Her desktop is still full
screen so it's not a hardware thing, but all of
her program windows, explorer, outlook etc.
will only go up to about 1 1/2" below the top
of her screen. I set her up a new profile and
it all went away.
But I'm wondering (since I searched the registry
and could find nothing) exactly what setting
would cause this to happen. I don't see how it
could be isolated to a BHO problem since it does
it on "all" windows except the desktop.
Appreciate any and all replies.

I had the identical problem a few months ago. I never could figure what
caused it. I fixed the problem but I was playing around trying for a few
weeks. Please don't try this if you don't need it but I THINK the solution
was to uninstall SP2 which reverts to SP1. The screen magically became full
again and then I re-loaded SP2. It's been correct since then.

FrankV