[SOLVED] Window update ran for over 15 hours and still going?!?!

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I had bought a Samsung notebook as a present for my wife back in 2014. It has Window 8.1. She hadn't used it since 2015 as she used the phone mostly. Yesterday, she found it and asked me to have a look. I ran the window update since then for over 15 hours and was still "searching" when I switched it off. Any idea? Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Thank you all for your help. I have managed to successfully upgrade it to Window 10, didn't ask me for any license key at all. So, that sort of avoided the whole problem. Thank you very much for all your help.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Something's amiss , no update takes that long.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yeah, exactly what I felt. I only used win 7, at home and at work. chose not to use Win 8 nor Win 10. But at the time, this laptop was a good deal, birthday present for the wife back in 2014. She like Apple but I can't afford MAC book at the time. This Samsung looks so much like an Apple, all white. The wife was very pleased. But after a year or so, she started to use the phone more. This Samsung has AMD, 4 core, bit slow nowadays. I ran the window update and left it running for overnight. It was still going this morning so I stopped it.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your help. I have tried it yesterday evening. After I stopped the window update service as you described, whenever I ran the first update (ending with 424), the window update service would start up again after a couple of seconds running the first update. If I stopped the update service, I would get an error. Sorry, I didn't note down the error code but it was not an error code listed as in article. So, I didn't get the result as the other did. Any idea? Many thanks in advance.

1111eugene

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
Thank you very much for your help. I have tried it yesterday evening. After I stopped the window update service as you described, whenever I ran the first update (ending with 424), the window update service would start up again after a couple of seconds running the first update. If I stopped the update service, I would get an error. Sorry, I didn't note down the error code but it was not an error code listed as in article. So, I didn't get the result as the other did. Any idea? Many thanks in advance.
first update 424 what?:) if you disable win update service, it cannot run without you enabling it, you should disable it via services.msc (google it, it's very easy), then run the installers, if they manage to install themselves, just restart and enable update service. If not, then you need to clear update cache, google where's the windows folder for update cache and delete all the files, restart without enabling update service and run the installers again

Check tweaking.com. I think they have a tool you can use free for home use that helps that. If it's for business use though, they have a paid version.

Personally, in this situation, I would consider removing the stock hard drive and installing an SSD drive, then trying to install Windows 10. I think that you can still upgrade for free even though they officially ended the program a couple years back. With an SSD and Windows 20, that laptop would feel brand new.

palakbisht

BANNED
Mar 5, 2019
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I had bought a Samsung notebook as a present for my wife back in 2014. It has Window 8.1. She hadn't used it since 2015 as she used the phone mostly. Yesterday, she found it and asked me to have a look. I ran the window update since then for over 15 hours and was still "searching" when I switched it off. Any idea? Many thanks in advance.
hi
you should do weather
  1. leave the update and get back to normal Windows, and…or
  2. resume the update without getting stuck again.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Download and install hotfixes for win8 listed here:
(windows update service has to be stopped before installing it)
http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-07.htm

Hi, Thank you very much for your help. I have tried it. But I just cannot stop the windows update service, or rather, it won't stay "stopped". Whenever I stopped the services, it would start up by itself as soon as I ran the update. Arrrr..... Any idea?

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Thank you all for your help. I have managed to successfully upgrade it to Window 10, didn't ask me for any license key at all. So, that sort of avoided the whole problem. Thank you very much for all your help.

Solution