News Windows 1.0 goes back to the future with the help of Raspberry Pi – PicoVision and emulation let you GUI like it's 1985

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I'm pretty sure I've kept those floppies somwehere, just to prove that I did run it once, only to immediately discard it as complete trash...

I was doing GEM at the time, which was vastly better and implemented the natural desktop metaphor with windows as overlapping as sheets ony my desk.

Windows 1 instead enforced a tiled windows management approach that I thought as intrusive and overreaching as M$ is becoming again these days with regards to AI and your data.

I understand there are Linux people who actually prefer that, but what I prefer most is choice.

Windows 1.01 came for free with an Intel Above board, and that package also included a free 80287, which was far more useful, and even continued to work with my 80386 machines until the 80486 finally included an almost proper FPU (the stack architecture designed for the 8-bit data base of the 8088 still sucked).

Did I mention that the Above board was the price of a used card you'd buy for your kid?

Or that it was either a PC or a new compact car (or used Porsche) at the time?