Question Windows 10 0xc0000221 volmgr.sys

NikhilB5

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am using a Lenovo Ideapad Z510 Laptop. Recently, I wanted to extend my C drive, so I shrank my D drive using the built-in Disk Management tool. However, when I attempted to extend the C drive, the option was greyed out. To overcome this, I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to extend my C Drive.

Unfortunately, during the process, something went wrong, and now I am encountering a Windows BSOD error with the code 0xc0000221. The error message indicates that the file "file:/windows/system32/drivers/volmgr.sys" is missing, and my laptop is not starting.

I tried to repair Windows using a bootable Windows 10 Pendrive, but it shows that it is unable to repair Windows 10.

Is there any way to fix this issue without formatting the laptop?

The file in question is Volume Manager.sys and likely the file was damaged or corrupted when you attempted to extend your C: drive with AOMEI despite Windows telling you it shouldn't be done (hence it being greyed out).

The USB drive that you used is probably a newer version of the ISO file that was originally used to image the machine when you first got it so the recovery will likely fail for that reason.

Are you able to go into any version of Safe Mode? Safe Mode w/Command Prompt?
If so, you might be able to run sfc /scannow or dism and it might repair it. If not, the only option you have is going to be to reformat.