Windows 10 169.254.221.x

D793Super

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Hi guys

I recently had 2 clients come to me with the same problem, a new/recent windows 10 update that prevents them from accessing internet.

I took a good look at all information I could find and they both had a similar IP: 169.254.221.x

I already tried the netsh commands
I already tried to release and renew ipconfig
I tried to restart it in safemode
I tried disabling and enabling dhcp and dns services
I tried reinstalling network drivers
I tried new network hardware(Different Network cards)
I tried disabling IPv6

I am at the point where I think that to reload windows 10 is the only option, but I still think it can be resolved without doing it.

I was hoping that one of the brilliant minds on this site might be able to help me, please.

Thank you for your time!

Solution

You may have to set a static IP on both the computer and the router/DHCP server.
APIPA addressing isn't something you have to deal with really, it's just the symptom of another problem, when you see it, it means the PC can't get outside itself, so typically the problem is the PC.
a 169 address means the computer can't get outside itself, so it can't talk to the DHCP server.

"The APIPA service also checks regularly for the presence of a DHCP server (every five minutes, according to Microsoft). If it detects a DHCP server on the network, APIPA stops, and the DHCP server replaces the APIPA networking addresses with dynamically assigned addresses."
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html
A dead NIC can cause this. As can there not being a DHCP server available.

Are these computers connected to a domain?

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Hi,

Are these machines residing on a 'test' network/environment to the rest of your computers? Id recommend having a look to see if the devices gateway is giving out DHCP. I think you have quite rightly done all the tests on the computers so i would look at the device that is hosting the DHCP. It could be an issue with that, maybe the device blocked it out of its pool because of safety issues. Try reserving an address in the DHCP pool and statically setting them on the PC, then restart the PC to refresh the drivers etc again.

Tell me if this fixes the issue or how you manage to fix the issue yourself when you do.

D793Super

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Ah I see, so as I understand, its the APIPA doing it?

Both devices were stand alone users. the only difference being that the one tried connecting through the phone, but wired connection didn't help either...
Is there a way to turn off APIPA?
Thank you for your reply!

D793Super

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

I have not tried this yet, but dew to my circumstances's, I can not tamper with the router, But I will keep this in mind when I get the chance to do it at home.
Thank you for your reply!

You may have to set a static IP on both the computer and the router/DHCP server.
APIPA addressing isn't something you have to deal with really, it's just the symptom of another problem, when you see it, it means the PC can't get outside itself, so typically the problem is the PC.

Solution

D793Super

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Yes, this is actually one of the things that I can't really test, but I understand what you mean. I have been thinking about it, but I can't exactly test to see if it works. I am not allow to change stuff on the router. But I will keep it in mind thank you!

Yeah, but once you establish a connection again with the DHCP server, it may be able to start communicating again, and is at least a temporary fix, so you can backup any files off it.

D793Super

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Thinking about it, the point of the operation is to get an IP from a router. I could just have gotten a router off the shelves... I will make sure to test it this way next time, thank you very much for your help! But if you can think off any other method of testing via Windows itself, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you once again!