Windows 10 1709 Update Issue

Feb 27, 2018
For the past few months, I've tried to update my PC with the new Windows 10 1709 update (Fall Creators). Every time I attempt to update I get a message saying it "Couldn't configure one or more system components" then says to restart my PC and restart the download. This has never worked. Any ideas on how to fix? My audio has been glitching constantly and everything has been running slower, though I'm not sure if this is due to the lack of an update.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Do you have latest drivers/bios for PC? that could be one reason it gets stuck. How new is the computer?

One option is to download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and then try to run the update off the USB. No more downloading 4gb multiple times to have it fail.

If update still fails, I would suggest a fresh install as often its only way to bypass windows update. It might also fix the slowness.

fresh install steps:
Backup everything you want to keep as this will wipe hdd C is on
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have latest drivers/bios for PC? that could be one reason it gets stuck. How new is the computer?

One option is to download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and then try to run the update off the USB. No more downloading 4gb multiple times to have it fail.

If update still fails, I would suggest a fresh install as often its only way to bypass windows update. It might also fix the slowness.

fresh install steps:
Backup everything you want to keep as this will wipe hdd C is on
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here).

Solution