Question Windows 10 1903 Task manager show wrong ram speed

May 9, 2019
Hi i just wanna ask is this just for mine system but after i updated windows task manager is no longer showing corect ram speed ! Before this update Task manager was showing 3200 ram speed and now its show 1600 ! This is ddr4 ram ofc !

May 9, 2019
So its not just me .Good to know . Mine friend also had same issue with new windows update ! Old version was reporting correctly but this new one reporting differently xD Task manager is busted !

Windows should not be using MHz as the unit for memory speed unless that's the correct unit. It sounds like Microsoft might have finally gotten around to making Task Manager correctly show the clock speed, rather than trying to confuse it with the transfer speed because it looks like a higher number, which most consumers equate with better.

DDR memory is rated with both a MHz clock speed that the parts run at, and MT (megatransfers) for it's actual transfer speed, since DDR memory is essentially getting two transfers done with each clock cycle.

While the MT speed is usually the equivalent you might see for SDR memory at that rate, MHz is the wrong unit. One thing Microsoft could do is simply omit the unit, as many vendors do on their packaging.

Memory is usually advertised without the unit, as many consumers would just become confused. Once you add the unit, your 3200 memory should be listed as 3200 MT/s, or 1600 MHz.

Jun 13, 2019
Updated from 1803 to 1903 and having the same issue. bumping this thread to see if there are other answers.. right now, i don't have the peace of mind seeing the speed cut in half.. but y'all saying it's okay.. what choice do i have?

I agree there is a bug in Task Manager, but it's in the units being used to label the RAM module speed, and in just what is being reported as speed.

The speed of the RAM modules installed to my 2700x system is being reported exactly the same, both from before and after the Windows 1903 update. Task Manager is also reporting the speed as MHz, which is incorrect, as in my case Task Manager is showing the MT/s rate not the MHz rate (MT/s is double the MHz rate.)

The discrepancy people are voicing about is likely a function of how your motherboard is interacting with Windows when queried, as there have been ongoing issues from the point Windows even began reporting RAM module speeds, due to not all motherboards reporting things in the same way. At least in the cases I'm reading about in this thread, what Windows is reporting sounds technically correct.

As far as I know, Windows Task Manager runs in user mode with no kernel driver, and this would be for stability and security reasons. Does Microsoft really want to force a privilege escalation when a user opens Task Manager? The downside is, software running in user mode has to use available APIs to access hardware. If Windows is unable to read a value through it's WMI interface from UEFI / BIOS, it may end up receiving a pre-programmed JEDEC or XMP profile from one of the modules (and not know which profile is actually in use.)

Your best options are to wait for Microsoft to change how Task Manager does it's thing, update your motherboard's BIOS / UEFI, and/or use software such as CPU-Z that directly interacts with hardware via a kernel mode driver.

Jul 20, 2019
Same thing is happening to me. Windows will not report anything higher than 2933MHz correctly.

EDIT:
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: ASUS B450-F Gaming
Ram: G.skill Flare X 3200