Question Windows 10 1909 Network Sharing Issue

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Windows 10 1909 Network Sharing Issue:

I have 2 computers connected to a Dlink DIR-850L router. PC1 is connected via a wired Ethernet connection, and PC2 is connected Wirelessly as its in the next room. Both PCs are running Windows 10 64bit, version 1909. Both PCs access the Internet through this router, which is working fine.

I'm able to see both computers listed under Network, from either computer.
  • On double-clicking on the computer, I can see 2 shares: The default 'Users' share created by Windows and the share I have manually shared.
  • I can go into the 'User' folder, access, open, and copy files.
  • But when I click on the share done manually - I get a do not have permission to access error
  • I get the error when accessing the manual share on PC2 when trying to access it from PC1, and vice versa
Exact Error Verbiage:
Windows Cannot Access \\htpc\movies

You do not have permission to access \\htpc\movies. Contact your network administrator to request access.

Steps Taken
  • The manual share are set to 'Everyone' and 'Full Access' rights
  • File and Printer Sharing is On
  • Network Discovery is On
  • Password Protected Sharing is Off
  • SMB 1.0 File Sharing support in Windows Feature is turned on
  • Registry Edit for Allowing Unsecure Guest Auth is done
  • File and Printer sharing, as well as SMB 1.0 File Sharing is allowed in the Firewall

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I also have Build 1909 and was struggling with the same issue ever since installing Win 10 at the end of March until yesterday. I had also completed all of the steps you listed and was still getting the same error, which was maddening.

The workaround for me was to map the drives on the other computer from my desktop:

\\computer name\drive letter

I renamed the network location in File Explorer on my desktop to keep things tidy. Everything now works great and and I have full rights on those other drives.

Reactions: virtualdanger

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I also have Build 1909 and was struggling with the same issue ever since installing Win 10 at the end of March until yesterday. I had also completed all of the steps you listed and was still getting the same error, which was maddening.

The workaround for me was to map the drives on the other computer from my desktop:

\\computer name\drive letter

I renamed the network location in File Explorer on my desktop to keep things tidy. Everything now works great and and I have full rights on those other drives.

I tried mapping the drives, and am having the same problem. I can map the 'Users' folder with no problem, and access its contents. But when I try to map the other drive with the movies, it gives me the same error. Saying that I cannot map it as I do not have access to it, and to contact my Network Admin.

Am I doing it right, or did I miss something?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I have a primary desktop (#1) and secondary desktop (#2). I needed to be able to access a drive attached to #2 from #1.

I first made sure on #2 that the drive was shared with "Everyone." If "Everyone" isn't shown (it wasn't in my case), be sure to add it. (This would share with everyone on that network.)

After that was done I mapped the drive attached to #2 on #1 and could see everything.

Reactions: virtualdanger

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I have a primary desktop (#1) and secondary desktop (#2). I needed to be able to access a drive attached to #2 from #1.

I first made sure on #2 that the drive was shared with "Everyone." If "Everyone" isn't shown (it wasn't in my case), be sure to add it. (This would share with everyone on that network.)

After that was done I mapped the drive attached to #2 on #1 and could see everything.

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation.

Unfortunately, I had already shared the drive from #2, and set it to "Everyone" and "Full Control".

And I get the same access error if I try to Map it.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
What's strange is that mapping the user folder works, but not the other drive. Are you positive the names are exact?
I was trying to map a network drive attached to my router and used the name as seen by the router, but it turned out that was one character (a space) different than the actual address. Once I fixed that it was fine.