[SOLVED] Windows 10 1909 to 20H2?

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I am running Windows 10 1909 that I only use for video encoding/transcoding. I don't use Cortana, Edge or any other features in Win 10 and I use Firefox and Chrome as my browsers. I have the Threadripper 1950X overclocked to 4.0Ghz. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade? If so, I would format the drive and do a clean install to the new OS. I will upgrade if there are any new features that I might appreciate or if it will improve performance but I do not want any kind of degradation in my current performance.

Solution
Yes, you should. The newer versions bring along security updates, etc.
I've seen ZERO performance degradation from all the successive Win 10 versions.

How have you prevented it from doing this upgrade on its own?

You don't need a fresh install, unless you want to.
I am running Windows 10 1909 that I only use for video encoding/transcoding. I don't use Cortana, Edge or any other features in Win 10 and I use Firefox and Chrome as my browsers. I have the Threadripper 1950X overclocked to 4.0Ghz. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade? If so, I would format the drive and do a clean install to the new OS. I will upgrade if there are any new features that I might appreciate or if it will improve performance but I do not want any kind of degradation in my current performance.
just some visual upgrades,in terms of design,nothing really important.I havent upgraded yet and my system is perfectly running.I wouldnt upgrade,just stay where you are if you what i mean.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

Call me old fashioned but anytime in the past when a new Windows OS comes out I do a clean install to ensure fast, reliable performance. Maybe it's not necessary? I go into settings and disable automatic updates of the OS. I get notifications when new updates are available and I install the updates when I choose to but I don't let Windows do anything on it's own.