[SOLVED] Windows 10 2004 (20H2?) update from version 1909 fail

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I got tired of the nag messages to update from v 1909 and let Windows Update run. Big mistake.

Annoying enough was that it undid all of the many tweaks I had made with Open Shell.

But the dealbreaker was that it completely hosed my Office 365 Outlook profiles. I rely heavily on Outlook and have no use for the online version. I have two profiles: work email and personal. Each has its own .pst, which I back up redundantly every day.

The first time I opened Outlook I saw that I no longer had a choice of profiles: There was only one. And what it gave me was both accounts in one GUI: Work email on top and personal (which is a Yahoo account) below that.

But worst of all was that my personal folders were either deleted completely or emptied. This is a huge issue because I have always been very diligent about carefully filing messages I send and receive for use when I need them again, which is often.

I tried to swap in a backup of yesterday's .pst and it changed nothing.

Luckily, I run Acronis every day and was able to restore my OS to yesterday's version, which included the Outlook .psts.

Is there any way of ensuring that if and when I eventually do update, these issues won't recur? (I would stick with 1909 if I could.)

Has anyone else had Outlook profile problems with the latest version? ( I googled and didn't see anything.)

Last edited:
Solution
D
maybe what you should do is have your pst files backed up, and uninstall office before updating next time. then update and reinstall office
D

Deleted member 14196

What’s interesting to me is that you are able to stop Windows update which means you’ve done something funny to your OS In the first place to cause such a problem because I have never heard of this and I’ve never seen this

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
What’s interesting to me is that you are able to stop Windows update which means you’ve done something funny to your OS In the first place to cause such a problem because I have never heard of this and I’ve never seen this
Not sure what you mean: The Pro version allows you postpone all updates.

I had been postponing every couple of weeks, then let it run yesterday.

When the update caused all the problems I described, I simply restored my machine to the version from the day before. using Acronis.

I certainly don't have the expertise to do anything "funny" to my OS. It's version 1909, which I installed in March.

D

Deleted member 14196

maybe what you should do is have your pst files backed up, and uninstall office before updating next time. then update and reinstall office

Reactions: dg27
Solution

TRENDING THREADS