(Windows 10) 2nd monitor keeps shutting off, yet is recognized by control panel/GFX Card

TheCrankyOldGamer

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I have two monitors on my Windows 10 desktop. For the past month, they've been fine. However, if I let the PC go into sleep mode or shut down display, about 25-50% of the time when I woke it back up the secondary monitor wouldn't come back. When I check in my display settings and in my GeForce control panel, both see the second monitor, and see it as active, functional, and happy. A shutdown fixes it right up, and both monitors would work again.

NOW, as of last night, the restart trick isn't working. I've tried several times, letting it completely power down. The secondary monitor is...sort of working? When I boot, the BIOS screen shows up on the secondary. This has always been the case, since the day I built it. BIOS on secondary, then shoots the main desktop over to the primary. Now, the BIOS screen still pops up on the secondary screen, as does the Windows loading screen, but as soon as it loads into the sign in screen, it shuffles it to the primary monitor and then shuts off.

When I go into Device Manager > Display Adapters, it just shows Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, which says all of the drivers are up to date. GeForce Control Panel and Windows Control Panel both say that the monitor is there, active and working. What's displaying on the primary monitor is actually the wallpaper that should be on the secondary. Someone on another thread recommended I try going into Screen Resolution, set it to "Set Only On Desktop 1", apply/save, then set back to "Extend These Devices", and it didn't work.

The whole not-working-with-reboot thing didn't happen until I did a GeForce update, so I'm like 75% sure the problem lies there, but rolling back the drivers didn't seem to fix it.

Any thoughts?

Lutfij

Titan
When you speak of rolling back your display drivers did you follow this guide? If at all possible please try and perform a system restore to a point prior to when the issue took place and likewise try a repair install which in essence looks more like a conflict in dirvers or the OS files have been corrupted.

Can you please pass on a full systems specs? Are you sure your BIOS and the rest of your drivers are up to date? Try using the "Windows" + "P" key to cycle through the secondary display options and see if anything changes for your second monitor.