Windows 10 30s wait time from login screen to desktop normal? But on restart only 5 s?

win10moogin

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
I've had my 2015 Asus zenbook 305f for one week with a 256hd ssd and 8gb Ram. I'm coming from a mac background so windows 10 is new to me. Is a 30s wait time normal to get to the desk top after putting in my login password on startup? I don't recall it starting this way. I've disabled all startup programs (it did have malware protection client on it, but I"ve since deleted it-curse you cnet). Thoughts? My 2009 macbook has only a few second boot time after entering login details by comparison-also SSD (OWC)
Boot times are normal <3s.

Solution
Figured it out. It was actually the NOv 2015 windows update that caused the slowdown. I reverted back to the "previous build" in windows settings and voila, 3-5s login time. Looking at other forums, I seem to not be the only one encountering this problem
Sounds weird. Even my 2007-ish C2D laptop with a SSHD (not even a real SSD) shows the login screen once starting for about 5 seconds before the desktop appears. My SSD computers are even quicker. I wonder if Asus has some bloatware crap loading in the background or trying to initialize first.

win10moogin

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Yes it is rather odd. I ran msconfig and disabled all the startup programs, then I went into services and found there was 194 services running at startup. I'd say 95% were microsoft, a few from intel, and one from mozilla. Hard to tell which services are critical. I wonder if that is typical, or if I should just do a fresh install of win10?
I recall the slow log on starting to happen only after I installed the Nov 2015 update with Cortana etc.

When I reset as opposed to shut down the login screen is maybe 4 seconds.. Maybe I'm trying to use a sledgehammer to squash a flea here, I don't really know if a full reinstall is the best route to solve this.
Thoughts?

Try this:
Type msconfig, go to boot, and then check the box for boot log. Shut down and restart and make note of the exact time that you click log in and when it just sits there. Look for that time in the \WINDOWS\NTBTLOG.TXT file and see if you can find something in particular it's stuck on.

You may also need to look in the system event viewer and look for anything critical or a warning. I'm not entirely sure when the boot logger stops - at the splash screen, or once the desktop is fully loaded.

win10moogin

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Figured it out. It was actually the NOv 2015 windows update that caused the slowdown. I reverted back to the "previous build" in windows settings and voila, 3-5s login time. Looking at other forums, I seem to not be the only one encountering this problem

Solution