[SOLVED] Windows 10 32 bit to 64 backup settings

Feb 20, 2021
Hi, so I've decided to update our work pc to Windows 10. It's currently running 32 bit Windows 7. To give a better understanding of the situation. It's a Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 and it runs at my shop connected to our digital cash register via lan.

My concern is that going to 64 bit I obviously have to do a clean install. But I'd like to save the LAN settings etc so I don't lose connection between the register and the pc. Is there any way to safely backup those settings?

My plan is to clone my current drive setup (running in RAID1) with macrium to another drive and try the installation. If anything goes bad I'll have a clone of my current Windows 7 setup.

Solution
The othe
Sounds simple enough. I'm just afraid that the IT techs have done any other changes to the settings that would be gone. Is there no (somewhat easy) way to backup and restore settings?
Shouldn't this OS upgrade be coordinated with the "IT Techs" ? There may be specific things, besides networking that have to be configured. Accounts, services, etc.

If it was me, I would remove the hard drive that has Windows 7 as a safety net, install a new SSD and install windows 10 on that drive. NO OTHER drives connected when you do the install.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, so I've decided to update our work pc to Windows 10. It's currently running 32 bit Windows 7. To give a better understanding of the situation. It's a Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 and it runs at my shop connected to our digital cash register via lan.

My concern is that going to 64 bit I obviously have to do a clean install. But I'd like to save the LAN settings etc so I don't lose connection between the register and the pc. Is there any way to safely backup those settings?

My plan is to clone my current drive setup (running in RAID1) with macrium to another drive and try the installation. If anything goes bad I'll have a clone of my current Windows 7 setup.
The simplest way is to do screen captures of the displays.

kanewolf

Titan
The othe
Sounds simple enough. I'm just afraid that the IT techs have done any other changes to the settings that would be gone. Is there no (somewhat easy) way to backup and restore settings?
Shouldn't this OS upgrade be coordinated with the "IT Techs" ? There may be specific things, besides networking that have to be configured. Accounts, services, etc.

If it was me, I would remove the hard drive that has Windows 7 as a safety net, install a new SSD and install windows 10 on that drive. NO OTHER drives connected when you do the install.

Solution
Feb 20, 2021
The othe

Well they said that they won't provide support for upgrading because my system is too old to be under warranty.

USAFRet

Titan
Well they said that they won't provide support for upgrading because my system is too old to be under warranty.
All the more reason.

Document your network settings.
Buy a new drive.
Remove the current 32bit.
Install the new drive, 64bit Windows.
Proceed on.
NOTE: This new install also requires a reinstall of any hardware drivers and applications that were in the old system. Document all your passwords, serial numbers, etc, etc.

Also...why the desire for the change? What is the current 32bit not doing for you?

kanewolf

Titan
This thread -- https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Windows-10-on-a-TS140-Thinkserver/m-p/4492160 says that Windows 10 should have the required drivers.
Which could otherwise be a problem, since the Lenovo website doesn't specifically have Windows 10 drivers.

I would recommend looking through the threads on the Lenovo forums BEFORE you do the install. There seem to be lots of experience there.

Feb 20, 2021
All the more reason.

Document your network settings.
Buy a new drive.
Remove the current 32bit.
Install the new drive, 64bit Windows.
Proceed on.
NOTE: This new install also requires a reinstall of any hardware drivers and applications that were in the old system. Document all your passwords, serial numbers, etc, etc.

Also...why the desire for the change? What is the current 32bit not doing for you?
I want to go for a ram upgrade. The current 4gb are slowly becoming a bottleneck

Feb 20, 2021
The othe

That actually sound like a good plan. I already have ordered two SSDs so I'll just wait for them to arrive and do the upgrade.