Question Windows 10 32bit memory limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2019
I have 6gb RAM installed on my motherboard, but my OS shows that i have 4gb of RAM installed and its usable 3.19gb. My motherboard supports up to 8gb of RAM.
How to remove the RAM limit?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's not dirty, that's just thinking outside the box. But it's not a widely known thing nowadays, for one, the ram restrictions far exceed motherboard capabilities again, and for two anybody that did use it has long since moved on to x64 as soon as they could, or passed away. By Windows 12, x86 OS probably won't exist.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can upgrade to 64 bit windows which is pretty much the best way to go about it.

won't have any issues as the license does no care which you use. it does take a clean install though to move up. small price to pay to get the use of all your ram.

USAFRet

Titan
If your worried about a wipe...create a separate partition and copy just your user stuff (docs, downloads, desktop...maybe) or you could try to copy the current "Program Files" folder to "Program Files (x86)" ...but I doubt it'll work without a lot of hassle.

Best bet is to try installing Windows 10 x64 over Windows 10 x32 if it lets you, it usually backs up your data and I think it may even recognize the 32 bit apps needing to be moved for 64 bit.
That absolutely will not work.
You can't save the Program Files folder from a 32bit install and transfer it into a new 64bit install.

32bit->64bit is a full wipe and reinstall. It saves nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.