Question Windows 10 64 bit random stuttering/lagging

arakotomiklas

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
I have windows 10 on a samsung 970 nvme ssd, and have another 240gb ssd and a almost full 2TB hard drive.

I have a problem where the pc works fine but then the longer it is on for i.e 2 hours, the more the lag starts to be prevelant. For example when I first turn on my pc there may be a freeze or microlag for less than a second and then it is fine for 30 minutes. However as time goes on for example 2 hours as previously stated I can be in a game such as League and the fps will randomly drop to 40 for a second or two and this will repeat more and more frequently as as the computer is on longer.

At first I thought this issue was related to a windows update or drivers and then to the game itself but then I noticed it was happening everywhere including windows explorer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled my gpu drivers which is an ASUS ROG Strix 1070, I have even tried an R9 280X and the problem persisted (wihch uses HDMI rather than the GTX 1070 DisplayPort so I know its not that). I checked the CPU temps and they seemed fine but I changed the cooler just to be sure and same result.

Finally I decided to do a clean reinstall of windows 10 on the NVME drive and the problem persists. My thought now are that it can't even be the PSU because the NVME drive is connected to the motherboard through M.2 and if the PSU (or sata cables) were failing other components wouldn't work.

I've run many antivirus scans such as Windows security, IObit, Malwarebytes/ADWcleaner and nothing seems to be flagging.

I genuinely have no idea what it could be, can anyone offer some insight or help?

Full System Specs:

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Base clock

RAM - 16GB DDR4 TeamGroup Vulcan 3000MHz

GPU - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070

Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING

Storage - 500GB Samsung 970 Evo, 240GB Drevo X1 Series, 2TB Toshiba P300 7200rpm

Mouse - Razer Naga Hex League of Legends Edition

Keyboard - Corsair K70 LUX RGB Cherry MX Red

Monitor - BenQ Zowie XL2411P

Microphone - Blue Snowball iCE

arakotomiklas

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
and make and model of the psu?
what the cpu/gpu temp after a few hours?
ram usage after a few hours?

PSU is Corsair CX 600M, CPU temps don't exceed 55 degrees C as I only play League of Legends mostly, I also said I changed the CPU cooler which didn't make a difference. The average RAM usage doesn't go up but I haven't noticed any spikes, though sometimes system hardware interrupts take 100% which is usually a driver issue but I've reinstalled all my drivers.

As for GPU temps they aren't going into 80 or anything that would throttle it, but I'm not sure exactly.

arakotomiklas

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
test psu on load using occt and see if it could handle test for about 10 min take note of voltage before test and on test to compare them .
The test configuration was the Power Supply Test, Mode: Large Data Set, Thread Count and Instruction Set: Auto and Logical Cores.

I ran the test for 10 minutes and 8 seconds, the resting CPU voltage was 1.23V, and 46 C, under load it was 1.25V and TMPIN0 which I assume was the temperature sensor pin read 77C.

GPU was 47C to 66C and voltage went from 0.82V to 0.87V.

arakotomiklas

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
test ok so run memtest 1 module at the time and where are the games files on on the hdd or the drevo .

League of Legends is installed on the M.2 NVME drive, and the memtest came back without errors. However I haven't had any lags today or yesterday so maybe the problem has solved itself. I will keep you posted tomorrow.

Oct 26, 2019
I have the same problem, someone on thread from 2016 advised to download this program https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon, so I downloaded it, ran the test a it's saying this:

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

I have the newest graphics drivers installed. Do anyone know how to solve my problem?

System specs:
Processor - AMD FX 6300
RAM - 16GB DDR3 HyperX Fury 1866MHz
GPU - AMD R7 370
Motherboard - ASRock 980DE3/U3S3
Storage - 1TB Seagate

Last edited: