Windows 10 64bit on this laptop and I think it should be 32 bit, advice?

arbiterrecon

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
okay so I’m repairing a friends HP laptop, she wants it completely wiped clean and a fresh installation. So, after reviewing the specs of the laptop I have this

Windows 10 64-bit
intel Celeron N3050 1.60GHz
2gb ddr3 ram
29GB SSD (very low)
HP 815E motherboard

After reviewing this I couldn’t think of a reason why windows 10 64bit was chosen vs 32 bit for these specs. She complains at how slow it runs and is bogged up. It looks like this laptop is just low quality anyway.

but am I right to install a 32bit instead of 64bit again.

the laptop specs sound more like it should be a chromebook rather then a windows one. i highly doubt going from 32-bit to 64-bit would make it that much tolerable. it was a cheap laptop so your friend should have known that it would not perform the same as a mid range laptop. i doubt it has an SSD drive too those laptops usually have a memory chip on them which does not have the same performance as an SSD drive

arbiterrecon

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016

Sandisk SDW32GB

arbiterrecon

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016

after some googling I found out its a Notebook not laptop

"Notebook" and "laptop" mean the same thing. "Laptop" is the term more common in normal speech though some manufacturers prefer to list them as "notebooks."

At any rate, that sounds like what would be termed a "cloud book" or something like it today. It's the modern equivalent of the old netbooks, super cheap laptops. It's not going to run fast, ever, because it has bottom of the barrel specs. If it were possible to upgrade the RAM that would help, though if this laptop is what I think it is, the RAM isn't upgradeable.

USAFRet

Titan

32bit or 64bit OS makes zero performance difference.
That is a slow, underpowered laptop, no matter which Windows OS you put on it.

2GB RAM and a 32GB eMMC drive is going to be slooooow.

I strongly suspect it's in the "HP stream" category. It definitely is a netbook grade laptop based on the specs provided, though knowing the exact model would tell us if anything can be boosted. I've opened a few of those $200 HP stream notebooks and found essentially a tablet board inside: no fan, integrated RAM and integrated flash storage with zero upgrade options.

arbiterrecon

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016

Yes it is the stream, the motherboard provided in my post gave model of laptop

arbiterrecon

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016

less than 4gb of ram

USAFRet

Titan

It makes no difference, performancewise.

I have an Asus Transformer, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC drive
I have an older Toshiba laptop, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, CeleronSomething CPU.

1 runs Win 10 32bit
1 runs Win 10 64bit

They are both slow, because they are slow systems.
If I were to do a full reinstall on both systems, and switch the bitness...they would both still be slow.
Because they are slow underpowered systems.

It's senseless to run 32 bit on more than 4GB, however there's no particular reason 64 couldn't or shouldn't run on less - though mainstream laptops start at 4GB or more of RAM now and 32 bit at the OS level is becoming less relevant.

arbiterrecon

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016

oh okay, I see now. I was thinking of how 32bit cant get more than 4gb of ram and was just thinking backwards