Windows 10 acting strange since upgrade. (error code 0x80080005)

CarmineShots

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
My Crucial m.2 recently died so I replaced it with a Samsung evo 860 ssd and since then windows 10 has been acting up. When ever I use Microsoft store to install or update a game or app it just hangs and sometimes tells me error code 0x80080005, same thing occurs when in windows settings checking for updates, it just loads for a long while before giving up and giving me the same error code. Sometimes if I restart my pc it would go through and say I have the latest updates. I tried a bunch of troubleshooters and they all either find nothing wrong or they continuously load. Kind of unrelated when I play sea of thieves normally exit it and try to load up again it gets stuck on checking for fake coins (even after I reinstalled the game) I have a feeling the error is related. And I feel as it boots up windows quite a bit longer than my m.2 normally would have. I tried some solutions involving command prompt and ran my anti virus and malware bytes a few times and found absolutely nothing wrong and even completely wiped my ssd and fresh installed windows 10 and the problem still persists. Could my ssd be the problem? Is that even a thing? I'm at a complete loss please help :( thanks in advance.

Edit: Something fishy is going on with wuauserv or windows update in continuous starting state. I tried disabling it restarting and then re-enabling it and starting it but its still stuck on starting. I have a strong feeling this is the problem.

Solution
Worth looking at the SMART score in Samsung Magician then and see if it shows any problems - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

also, download and run HDTune and check the health tab, let it run a SMART test

SMART = Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology - its built into most hdd/ssd as a means of testing hdd for problems

both tests should have similar results

Have you tested ram? if not, download Memtest86 and use it to create a bootable USB. Test each stick, 1 stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Any error count higher than 0 is too high, and might be reason for corruption.

If ram/SSD both come out clean, I might suggest that repair install again.

Colif

Win 11 Master

CarmineShots

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014

Yes those were the commands I tried running but since wuauserv was in an starting loop it would tell me it could not be stopped because its not starting or stopping. Yesterday I tried the troubleshooter again and it went through and kind of "fixed" the problem, like its weird I'll reboot my pc and everything will work for a while as if it were fixed and then given some time it will start acting up again. So I updated my bios and my lan driver and given some time going to see if it bugs out again.

Edit: Still bugged out https://imgur.com/a/mrCRDAT

CarmineShots

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014

Tried the local admin, didn't work. Tried windows 10 upgrade got some updates and up to date, didn't work. Idk if a "bad" ssd can cause window errors codes or if the official windows tool creator has a bad version or what but I'm probably gonna get a replacement ssd soon.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Worth looking at the SMART score in Samsung Magician then and see if it shows any problems - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

also, download and run HDTune and check the health tab, let it run a SMART test

SMART = Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology - its built into most hdd/ssd as a means of testing hdd for problems

both tests should have similar results

Have you tested ram? if not, download Memtest86 and use it to create a bootable USB. Test each stick, 1 stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Any error count higher than 0 is too high, and might be reason for corruption.

If ram/SSD both come out clean, I might suggest that repair install again.

Solution

CarmineShots

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Soooo I fixed the problem after properly deleting partitions and reinstalling windows and still got the error. Ever since my m.2 died I kind of just left it in there... because the gpu is a huge pain to pull out to get to the m.2 slot and as a last ditch effort (after seeing the windows installer still recognizing its corpse is still there) decided to get the gpu out and the m.2 and since then all the problems have gone away. Like pulling out a rotten tooth... I feel real dumb after all this and wish I could delete myself like those partitions. I appreciate the answers given even if they weren't the solution. Thanks