Windows 10 activation error

EthianKenh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015
Hi Everyone!

I'm helping my friend to do a clean install of Windows 10 Home Single Language on his HP laptop.

Before the installation the Windows version is the same but runs very slow, So I've decided to create a USB installer using the media creation tools from Microsoft with my own desktop.

After finished a clean install of Windows 10 Home Single Language, I use the existing genuine product key to activate but receive the error message that it's not a valid key.

May I know what's the problem?

Solution
If that is the case. You can try using phone activation as the key is most likely locked.

In run command type slui4.exe. It should bring you to a Microsoft section to perform a phone based reactivation. If everything is as you stated. It should be successful and unlock the key then activate for you.

EthianKenh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015

Hi thanks for the swift reply,

Before I do the clean install, I've check the windows version. It's Windows 10 Home Single Language, so when I create the USB installer using the media creation tool, I pick the Windows 10 Home Single Language option and proceed. The only thing difference is the year - before clean install the windows version is 2016 after clean install the windows version shows 2017

Also the it's 64 bit before and after the clean install. I've double confirm everything since these kind of issue are very sensitive.

If what Mat suggested isn't the issue. Then the problem is most likely related to the key in terms of retail vs oem copies of OS.

Prebuilt system like HP and Dell tend to come preloaded with Windows, which would have had the OEM version. If you reinstalled windows using the OEM version, it should self activate using an embedded activate chip (depending on how old the system is).

Now if you do a completely new install using what you know is a retail copy and it fails to activate. That means the key has reached it's activation limit or is activated on more then one system at a time.

This is pretty common for users that had to do a few reinstalls and activations. Microsoft only allows X amount of activations before it locks the key to prevent license fraud or leaks (aka your key got leaked and 100s of people are trying to use it) etc... just an example.

Please verify you are not installing this on multiple machines at once before you continued with activation and provide feedback as we have requested before we continue with troubleshooting.

^ this ? where is the key from youre using on the laptop ??
Did the laptop come preinstalled with windows 10 ?? If so the 'key/label' should work.
If it was originally win 7/8/8.1 the key will be invalid - you should just skip key entry on install & the laptop should validate on conenction to the internet.

OEM vs Retail ?? I dont think there is any difference in the downloads using media creator.
I downloaded on my main custom built pc & upgraded my dell laptop to creators edition (from win 10 pre anniversary because it would never update without erroring out) with no issue whatsoever.

Once a system has been running win 10 previously & it was showing as activated legitimately you do not need to enter any key on a clean reinstall - just select to skip

EthianKenh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015

Thanks for the additional info, I think this should be the problem. And nope, I did the clean install on the same HP laptop, my friend ask for my help because his son has been using it for the past one year and is full of virus and bloatware (they're just so good in taking care of the pc).

If that is the case. You can try using phone activation as the key is most likely locked.

In run command type slui4.exe. It should bring you to a Microsoft section to perform a phone based reactivation. If everything is as you stated. It should be successful and unlock the key then activate for you.

Solution

EthianKenh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015

Thanks I will try that. I think that's about it. There's nothing further I can do.