Status
Not open for further replies.

generalmolotof

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I have a quick question for you guys. I own a lenovo ideapad 110-15ISK with windows 10 home 64bit pre installed. If i upgrade to windows 10 PRO via Microsoft Store, will i be able to retain my PRO licence when i change laptop in the future? Say if i buy a new laptop with windows 10 home, will i be able to transfere my PRO licence provided that i stop using (possibly deactivate windows) at my current laptop?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
In theory if its a retail licence and I believe the versions MS sell are retail, then yes, you can move it from current PC to next one.
You can't move the preinstalled Home version as OEM have special licenses but you can move the Pro, or should be able to.

But that is in theory, the best people to ask would be Microsoft themselves but getting a high enough lvl help desk person who knows the truth would be fun.

New laptop would simply be a matter of activating it using the Microsoft account linked to Pro account and not using the old laptop again online.

Colif

Win 11 Master
In theory if its a retail licence and I believe the versions MS sell are retail, then yes, you can move it from current PC to next one.
You can't move the preinstalled Home version as OEM have special licenses but you can move the Pro, or should be able to.

But that is in theory, the best people to ask would be Microsoft themselves but getting a high enough lvl help desk person who knows the truth would be fun.

New laptop would simply be a matter of activating it using the Microsoft account linked to Pro account and not using the old laptop again online.

Solution

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
As previously mentioned if its not OEM you should be fine, but when you do change laptops, you'll need to connect your microsoft account (log in one) to the product key, and then when changing computers if they product key doesn't activate due to previous activations, you'll just dial the 1855 number on the prompt for contacting customer support so they can generate new Product ID number to activate with, but they will disable activation on other laptop. I had just changed from old computer to new one and it wouldn't let me use my product key tied to my account because it was already activated on other computer, so it took like 10-15 mins on support line with ms support, and he generated new product ID to activate with after I told him I was using the new computer and didn't need the other one activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.