Windows 10 already? I was just deciding on 8.1!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missxc

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Ok, I am so very baffled. Windows 10? Seriously? What happened to windows 9? Is there a win 9?
Where have I been to not know this or is it just Microsoft being #@! $&^ again and screwing around with our heads and hard drives.
Please someone post the link, or links where I can find info or get the Win 10 OS.

Solution
10 is still in the "preview" stage, which means builds free to use (until they expire, and won't boot any longer), aren't feature complete at the present time and have bugs still being worked out. Final release is likely coming this fall.

Windows 9 is being skipped, and it's said that Windows 10 will be "the last major version of Windows" which will be kept up to date over time.

The design choices are meant to take the good tech developed in 8/8.1 into a more flexible and user-friendly interface, also adding more functions like a new browser (not named but known for now as "project Spartan"), Cortana integration and a new notification/action center
10 is still in the "preview" stage, which means builds free to use (until they expire, and won't boot any longer), aren't feature complete at the present time and have bugs still being worked out. Final release is likely coming this fall.

Windows 9 is being skipped, and it's said that Windows 10 will be "the last major version of Windows" which will be kept up to date over time.

The design choices are meant to take the good tech developed in 8/8.1 into a more flexible and user-friendly interface, also adding more functions like a new browser (not named but known for now as "project Spartan"), Cortana integration and a new notification/action center

Solution

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014
the reason windows 9 was cancelled because Microsoft thought it might have some compatibility issues with windows 95 and 98 so whey went strait to 10. I use it and its great a lot better than windows 8/8.1 according to me.

baumy, I would like to point out that this was only a rumor. It was not the official explanation from Microsoft.

The basic idea is that some software looked for "Windows 9" during OS compatibility checks to make sure they weren't running on windows 95 or windows 98. Such software would see "windows 9" and think it was 95 or 98 and would shutdown with an incompatibility notice.

It's certainly plausible, but not confirmed.

Missxc

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
SchizTec thank you. I think I'll wait on the 10 until it's been fumigated lol. I don't particularly like bugs so I'll stay out of the way of 10 until i can use it without worry.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.